Sun Seed Sunaturals Chinchilla Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
I am taking in a rescue today who is eating crap food. With this food with all the treats and such, should I just up the acidophilis and and baby gas drops and do a cold switch? I usually do a slow one, but this food truly makes me cringe.

pPETS-4660685t400.jpg

It has dried veggies and fruits in it. It also contains some herbs that I did research on to see if they were at least safe, and from what they found they are. So what would you do?

Ingredients:
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oat Groats, Soybean Hulls, Oats, Cane Molasses, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Carrot, Ground Corn, Heat Processed Soybeans, Vegetable Oil, Chamomile, Chopped Timothy Hay, Parsley Stalks, Calendula, Rose Petals, Steamed Rolled Oats, Dehydrated Goji Berry, Dehydrated Cranberry, Chopped Alfalfa Hay, Dehydrated Apple, Heat Processed Barley, Beet Pulp, Pepita, Pine Cone, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Yeast, Hibiscus, Freeze Dried Peas, Rose Hips, Red Clover Tops, Dehydrated Leeks, Salt, Bay Leaf, Dehydrated Strawberry, Raspberry Leaf, Peppermint Leaf, Dandelion Leaf, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Torula Dried Yeast, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), DL-Methionine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenedihydriodide, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Anise Oil, Sodium Selenite.

I did that with my chins..I got 3 at once from this one lady and she had them on that fruity crappy stuff...she also gave them 4 raisins per day per chin..omg!!
I think I'd get them off the junk asap..the sooner the better..the healthier they will be...just my .02 :)

I agree with Stackie, and add some lifeline if you have it as well.

I do have lifeline and was going to add it with the acidophilus sprinkles over the food. I'm waiting to see what his poo looks like this afternoon. I'm hoping for a poo miracle, but I'm doubting it.

I do have lifeline and was going to add it with the acidophilus sprinkles over the food. I'm waiting to see what his poo looks like this afternoon. I'm hoping for a poo miracle, but I'm doubting it.

LOL a poo miracle! That is the funniest thing I have heard all day!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............has alot of "stuff." States is has Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product in the ingredients list. So the intestinal tract is covered.This is a pretty expensive feed. I looked at the web site. Since I only use Mazuri I cannot say how well this feed performs. Cost alone would keep me from using it.

It has a lot of good stuff but also a lot of bad stuff as well. It has a ton of fruits and veggies in it. While the herbs and such are good for a chin in moderation, I don't know how great it would be for an every day thing, especially if he's eating more herbs and veggies than actual pellets.

Ok, so yeah...I didn't get the poo miracle I was hoping for. His cage is actually fairly nice though. It has plastic shelves, and he had no chew anything in there, but the shelves don't have a single chew mark on them so I am going to leave them in there for now. He isn't friendly but isn't bitey either. They had him in a SUN room, in FLORIDA. I'm really surprised he's still alive. It was at least 78-80ish in there when I walked in the room. Plus the entire thing is windows...poor baby.

He's a BIG boy. I haven't had a chance to weigh him yet (I don't want to stress him out) but he's at least 250-300 grams more than my 680g chin. He also has nice fur which I was surprised by since they claimed he hasn't had a dust bath for the last week and a half (Kaytee dust).

Everyone meet Jack! This picture doesn't show off his size, but I didn't want to stress him out with a whole bunch of flash.
IMG_2600.jpg

Aw what a sweet little face!

And as I'm sure you know, just make sure he has tons of hay right now while you're doing the cold switch

Crysta, if I really want to make sure the chin gets a lot of acidophilus, I do a couple of things--one, dissolve it in a bit of water and give by medicine dropper; two, break a shreddie in half, and pour it inside the shreddie. It gets a lot more acidophilus in them than sprinkling it on food in the dish, because it tends to fall through to the bottom of the bowl. It's a good way to make sure more of it actually makes it inside their tummy.

I started the shreddie trick and it worked really well. I am going to pick up some chewables tomorrow to see if they like them. That would be even easier.

His poo is looking better, but it's still far from 100%. He's eating the PANR really well though so that's always good. He wasn't eating his Kaytee hay (what he came with) so I went ahead and switched him to what I use and now he's chowing down on hay as well. :thumbsup:

Awesome!:wink2: If you aren't already doing it, you will want to give plenty of baby gas drops--a dropperful 2-3x a day while his belly is adjusting to the switch.

Latest posts

Back