Sulfur Bath

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

VanessaBobby

Overnight our chincilla developed missing patch of fur behind neck and above eye. We weren't sure if it was an injury or ringworm (which he has had before). He's our only chinchilla. We took him to the vet and they are testing the area but he wasn't able to tell for surde what happene. Just in case they gave him a sulfur bath. Wanted to see if anyone had experience with their chin having repeat case of ringworm or sulfaur baths, worried if it's safe and the right response. They also gave him an oral medication- Griseofulvin. I'm wondering if it's normal for a chin to have ringworm again, even though they live alone??

Spoof was just talking about this in chat today. She said it's a lot less toxic than Captan (which lots of people use) and very safe for chins. She's using it currently on a chin that got stressed out by so many moves so close together.

I jotted it down so I can get some too.

Spoof was just talking about this in chat today. She said it's a lot less toxic than Captan (which lots of people use) and very safe for chins. She's using it currently on a chin that got stressed out by so many moves so close together.

I jotted it down so I can get some too.

Really?? That's interesting!! Learn something new everyday! Where could you find sulfur powder?

Sulfur added to the dust as well as griseofulvin ,both in the oral form and fed in with the pellets or fed as a ingredient in a supliment have been used for decades and have proved to be a effective in the treatment and prevention of Fungus.

Sulfur added to the dust as well as griseofulvin ,both in the oral form and fed in with the pellets or fed as a ingredient in a supliment have been used for decades and have proved to be a effective in the treatment and prevention of Fungus.

May I ask how much per cup? Any side effects, things you need to watch out for?

is it something that should be used in their normal dusting (possibly in a case like the OP's who has a reoccuring problem???)

I believe that your chin could get the ringworm again quite easily if you didn't properly clean out everything in the cage and the cage itself. So make sure and clean everything out this time around if he does have ringworm.

Most use 1c. to 50lbs Blue cloud (an entire bag). I use 1 to 5 ratio with the affected chin(s).

Edited to say Ronda finds it at the pharmacy, I find it in the feed stores.

If it is a reoccuring problem. Then I would suggest talking with the vet about treating the entire herd, in a case where more then one chin is present. Sterilizing all effected surfaces ,again talk to your vet to see what he suggests to kill the fungus on cages ,walls ect.
You may also need to see if there is another issue that is contributing to ther reoccurance. some times underlying desease or other health issues are a factor in the reoccurance, as is the possiblility a staphloccocus skin infection as a secondary infection.
Remember the species of fungus that are the casue are very common in nature.

I'm wondering if it's normal for a chin to have ringworm again, even though they live alone??

Yes, it has to do with humidity, stress of the infected (person or animal) time of year and warmth.

Some years are worse than others.

I believe that your chin could get the ringworm again quite easily if you didn't properly clean out everything in the cage and the cage itself. So make sure and clean everything out this time around if he does have ringworm.

His occurence of ringworm happened a year after his first case of ringworm. We clean his cage regularly every week with bleach, he doesn't come in contact with other chinchillas, which is why we're confused on how this could happen again. The doctor said that some spores could lay dormant and can come out again when triggered by low immune system or stress? Has anyone heard of this?

The fungus that cause ringworm,or fungus in chinchilla's Is very common in nature and is not soemthing you can ever eliminate entirely from the chins environment. That is why outbreaks are usually triggered by a lowered imunnity in the chin and /or a change in the environment that allows the fungus numbers to explode in numbers, IE increase in humidity, Lack of ventilation ect.

Do you have some suggestions on how we can better his environment. I think the idea that somehow we may be responsible for him being stressed out or lowering his immune system is really getting to me! We live in a small apt, he's in the living room, so there is noise at times, but nothing too loud. Should we keep the windows open more or the AC running at all times (even if it isn't that warm out). I'm getting rid of all the wood products in his cage and getting new ones. We also clean every week with bleach. The idea that he hasn't been comfortable and happy is just so upsetting! I welcome any suggestions on how we can make it better!!! We also treating him now for the fungus with oral meds and tinactin in the dust bath.

It doesn't mean he's not happy or horribly uncomfortable, unless it's a huge, huge outbreak where he has nasty spots all over his body. When I have dealt with fungus, I don't necessarily see depressed, miserable chins. They just look ugly from the occasional bald spot. Don't feel like you are causing him to feel ill - that's not it at all.

For me, ventilation and humidity are killers. My brother WAY overinsulated our chin barn and it has been a nonstop fight to keep the humidity down. Picture -25 degree weather and I don't even have to run a space heater above 1. The humidity keeps it plenty warm, but it's a double edged sword.

I have not had griseofulvin recommended to me for chins (not knocking it, just have used something else myself), but Angie recommended itraconazole and it worked like a charm. I used it in conjunction with topicals and it got the job done.

I am going to try this sufur that Tara talked about though, as I hate using the Captan. It just doesn't make me feel wonderful using a pesticide on chins (or sucking it into my lungs!). I have used it, and it does work, but if there's a safer alternative, I'm all for it.

ETA: Husbandry after finding fungus is a really big deal, even though a simple dirty cage doesn't necessarily cause the outbreak. Boil and bake your wood supplies. Even better? Boil them then lay them in the hot sun to bake. Do the same with your cage. Wipe it down with bleach water and pop it in the sun for 6 or so hours, while it bakes. Sun kills fungus nicely. Wash your hammocks in hot bleach water, etc. I often wonder, too, if plastic cages foster fungus. You really can't clean plastic as well as metal or glass. Any minute cracks or scratches could easily harbor the fungus, despite your best cleaning efforts.

my vet used itraconazole instead of griseofulvin for ringworm orally. It is supposed to be easier on the liver. Anyways it worked great; fast, he loved the taste, no appetite loss and has never had it again.

When you get a chin with fungus, I always consider we should throw away everything that is wood or fabric in the cage. These things are porous and spores of fungus can stick there.

Concerninf the sulfur bath, I did heard of it, mostly from French people in France. But I was always against the fact of giving it as a preventive method. Wouldn't that affect the chin's repiratory system breathing sulfur constantly?

Also, I thought the oral drug was only for more advanced case of fungus. Is that common to give it just in case it gets serious?

Back