sudden change in sexual behvior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
My 11 year old chins Elena and Tseng have never exhibited an ounce of sexuality before. He is fixed (at least, I was told he is fixed when I got them) and I was assuming that either that or his age was why he doesn't mount things like my 9 month old. Then two days ago during playtime he started chasing her. I broke up the chase and things seemed normal when I put them back in the cage. Elena went in to the hidey house- not unusual - but whenever Tseng tried to go in, she made a 'protest' sound or even a keck. If he sat outside she would touch noses with him, but she did not allow him inside. She would only be lured out for a treat, then run back in immediately.

I found the noises concerning so I separated them for the rest of the night. Elena soon came out of the hidey house and bounced around her half of the cage. So I know it was Tseng,and not me, she was hiding from. When I let them back together she went right back to the hidey house, so I kept them separated for the day so she didnt have to spend all day in the hidey house.

Today I let them back together to see if they were done quarreling, and the first thing Tseng did was mount her. I immediately expected a good keck or even a yellof some sort but she didn't protest, she let him do it for a few seconds then walked out from under him. This repeated several times and carried into playtime and back into cage time and in the end I separated them again so she could get some sleep.

Anyway my point is Tseng has never shown any sexual behavior before. I've never even seen him clean himself, and I've never seen him mount antything before, and I made him a cuddle buddy hoping he would take his frustrations out on it, but so far he has not. So how can I resolve this situation? If I let them back together and Tseng does his thing for a while, will he get over it so things can go back to normal? I really don't want to keep them separated because they've been together most of their lives as far as I know and they get lonely when I have to keep them apart, and there hasn'lt been any violence just annoyance.

On a related issue, should a neutered male have all that sudden sexual energy? Where could that even have come from out of nowhere? Could my 9 month old Cloud be giving off some puberty smell or vibe or something that affected Tseng? They are caged separately but in the smae room. Tseng did recently express some interest in Cloud (unusual since he's ignored Cloud since July when I got him).

I have a Cloud question too, but I will put that in another thread!

Thanks in advance for replies!

Dani

It sounds like your female is in heat and both of your boys are responding to it. Cloud is singing to her to get her attention. He isn't lonely, just highly interested in meeting her. Your other male is probably being more assertive because he senses a rival male around. It is all biology and not psychology.

There's nothing you can do about it as long as you have a female around. Hopefully he is indeed fixed to avoid pregnancy.

There is paperwork for that? I don't have anything. What signs of pregnancy should I look for? And about when should I start looking for them?

The vet would give a receipt for the neutering. I would see if you can confirm it with a vet who did it. Some people will say oh, they're too old to breed, and call them neutered, etc. If he was neutered later in life it's possible that he's neutered but will still mount.

I would keep them separated until you can verify it.

Latest posts

Back