Such conflicting information!!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelleideeaz1

I worry about people stressing their chins out or completely losing the trust of their animals in the beginning with advice like that. The article is incredibly long with a lot of disclaimers I suspect new chin people may not read and just take it to mean that they should manhandle their chins. It's just such an overly complicated and convoluted article, it's hard to figure out what the point is in the first place.

New chins should be allowed to acclimate to new homes so that they don't get stressed out.

It is kind of all over the place isn't it..? I thought the same thing too. I don't have long term experience with Chins and I've been following the advice on here as gospel but I wondered if anyone had any favorable outcome with this approach.
They kind of scare you by saying the Chin could die from acute shock of being "ignored" when/if the Chin doesn't "make the first move" toward being handled and/or the Chin would become a "fearful bundle of nerves" and possibly develop anti social behaviors such as fur biting or biting out of sheer stress and frustration....Yikes.

Not a fan of that site. They have lots of information that I completely disagree with. They are entitled to their opinion, but I'm glad people are able to see it for what it is and look elsewhere for correct information.

I love how it's all "we do everything well, others know nothing." I'm going to bet that Susan (AZChins) has handled more of "these types of chins" than the site owners have.

I am all for taming chins, but seriously a brand new rescue needs to be handled within a hour of being tossed in its new cage is insane, leave the chin alone to get adjusted to its environment-most rescues think life as they knew it ended, they need to be secure before being tamed.

The nature of chins to be curious and outgoing prevents them from not making that first move. Unless a chin is incredibly damaged, it is going to show some interest in the environment around it. I wouldn't worry about not getting attention causing problems. Anti social behavior with chins usually is the result of trauma and mishandling. Taking it too fast with a chin can cause some real damage with new chins, loss of trust is the worst thing that can happen because trust can take a long time to gain once it has been compromised. Chins don't forget easily.

Anyway, that article needs to be shortened, rewritten and there needs to be a clearly defined purpose to the whole thing.

Three points should be made:

1) To gain trust with a chin you must give it some space. Don't chase your chin, and don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do!!
2) Once a chin trusts you and bonds with you, don't ignore it.
3) You get out of your chin what you put into her. Relax and let your chin relax, work with her with a kind heart and a patient spirit. It can take awhile, but it will be worth it.

Every chin is so different, you can't come up with a set of hard and fast rules for bonding. Most of the time it's best to play it by ear and not worry about it!

Yeah, they're entitled to free speech. I'm just soooooo glad I didn't run into that site while I was still doing research. They make it sound like everyone else is full of BS.

I ran across that site when trying to introduce my two Chins. Not sure if their advice is any good on that subject but I follow their introduction methods to the letter and could never get my chins to tolerate each other. What I have are two Chins that if they ever got out together would fight to the death and it wouldn't take long. I have them in huge separate cages and they are both spoiled rotten but it has made me wonder why everyone else has so much luck introducing new chins to each other and I haven't. I would LOVE to get them in the same cage together but the stress on them is just to much.

I saw that new cage you just built and it's AWESOME! I suppose some chins just never get along...kinda like that annoying co-worker that you just cannot see eye to eye with :hair: But it seems like you're giving them the best life they can have so that's something!

Latest posts

Back