Stumbled across something fun and interesting the other day...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
Well, technically my boyfriend did. I don't know if any of you have heard of Critters USA before, I know I definitely didn't before two days ago. Anyways, it's a magazine dedicated to rodents (which is great for me because rodents are my absolute favorite). I think every issue has a section for hamsters, guineas, ferrets, rabbits, rats, hedgehogs, chinchillas, and mice. In the issue I bought there's a lot of information on all of those animals + a lot of specifics on exotic pets and their behavior/feed. Reading only one issue has introduced me to about 20 different species of rodents that I now fantasize over owning LOL. All of the information I've read regarding chin care is correct (which is always nice to see considering everybody else seems to always be so completely misinformed). But I found two things which really caught my attention in the magazine. It has this chart that will give you an estimated price of every rodent's maitenance per year. The second thing I was truly amazed by was that they have a two separate directories at the end of the magazine; one directs readers where to go to purchase food/etc. and the other (which I am SO grateful for) is a VET directory. All categorized by state. The vet directory specifies what types of rodents each vet treats.

I don't know if this is something that is already very well known and I'm just completely clueless. But I figure if it's not yet, then it should be. I seriously advise that you guys buy at least one copy of Critters USA.

Well, technically my boyfriend did. I don't know if any of you have heard of Critters USA before, I know I definitely didn't before two days ago. Anyways, it's a magazine dedicated to rodents (which is great for me because rodents are my absolute favorite). I think every issue has a section for hamsters, guineas, ferrets, rabbits, rats, hedgehogs, chinchillas, and mice. In the issue I bought there's a lot of information on all of those animals + a lot of specifics on exotic pets and their behavior/feed. Reading only one issue has introduced me to about 20 different species of rodents that I now fantasize over owning LOL. All of the information I've read regarding chin care is correct (which is always nice to see considering everybody else seems to always be so completely misinformed). But I found two things which really caught my attention in the magazine. It has this chart that will give you an estimated price of every rodent's maitenance per year. The second thing I was truly amazed by was that they have a two separate directories at the end of the magazine; one directs readers where to go to purchase food/etc. and the other (which I am SO grateful for) is a VET directory. All categorized by state. The vet directory specifies what types of rodents each vet treats.

I don't know if this is something that is already very well known and I'm just completely clueless. But I figure if it's not yet, then it should be. I seriously advise that you guys buy at least one copy of Critters USA.

Sounds great. Ive been looking for a mag like that for ages have to check out shipping for the uk:thumbsup:

Yea, this magazine only comes out once a year though - sometime in June or early July - so keep an eye out for the next one.

Ronda

Does anyone know if they sell this with other animal magazines at pet stores? I know Pet Smart sells like Dog Fancy and stuff like that. I bet they would carry it

Sooo...what is the estimated cost for keeping a chinchilla???

It reads:
"Cost of Pet: Breeder: $70-500; Pet Store: $129-150; Shelter: $60-125

Initial Cost of Supplies: $300-500

Annual Cost of Supply (food, litter, toys, accessories, bedding, etc.): $198

Exercise Needs: 30 minutes (a day)

Annual Expected Medical Costs: $0-195"

I skipped a few irrelevant categories but I'm sure you get the picture. and YES I'm sure there have been exceptions to this list regarding vet costs or annual pet supplies a year because so-and-so buys in bulk and also has to pay $60 per check up at the vet, etc. I personally just think it's a nice thing to have, especially for all of those that are looking at getting a chinchilla. Because from what I can see it's pretty accurate. They have these charts for
9 other animals and it's even interesting to compare.

This magazine is the first piece of information outside of the forum that I have seen that specifies not to feed sugary treats such as fruits or vegetables and that specifies that a chinchilla owner use wooden ledges and avoid plastic. Also, it doesn't list any Petcos or whatever in the directory. It lists small businesses that specifically treats small animals/exotics. Similar to the people on this forum. Of course, my issue is from 2008 :/ so I don't know that the addresses/numbers/businesses themselves are even still in existence.

195.00 a year for vet bills? 198.00 a year for supplies? Really??????

LOL so let me get this straight. I try to let some of you guys in on an interesting read and what ends up happening is you end up ridiculing/belittling me? Did I say the chart was completely accurate? No- I said it was something interesting that caught my eye. That's definitely an issue with this forum hahaha, the whole bullying thing. :impatient:

LOL so let me get this straight. I try to let some of you guys in on an interesting read and what ends up happening is you end up ridiculing/belittling me? Did I say the chart was completely accurate? No- I said it was something interesting that caught my eye. That's definitely an issue with this forum hahaha, the whole bullying thing. :impatient:

No one is bullying you. They just pointed out information from the magazine that in their opinion, was not a correct estimate.

Now, if you want to talk about bullying on this forum is an issue, take it to an admin. All that little statement is going to do is stir up trouble, which we're not interested in.

No one is bullying you. I found it quite interesting and am happy you shared it. There needs to be more good chin info out there! It was just one thing in the costs that is unrealistic, so it was pointed out. Not once did anyone belittle you. Cheer up. :))

Unless you wrote that article or own that magazine, I don't see how that comment was directed at you. Perhaps the "issue" with the forum is not so-called bullying, but people taking things personally when that's not how it was intended.

Thanks for the tip on the mag, I'll probably pick one up if I see it somewhere!

they have a cool website too. thanks for the tip.

not sure why you would think any one was directing anything to you, it was a comment on the mag. and overall there really isnt bullying on this forum. what i do see is a lot of uneducated, misinformed, know it all people come around and ask for advice on situations that they have NO intentions of following or aruging a point that they have no basis for. Most of us are still learning and also know how to take both advice & critisim.

and this was in NO way directed at you. just a general observation.
relax and enjoy the forum.

Wow, their estimate was lower than I thought it would be.

Judging by my own spending for 3 chins for the past 4 months, it'll probably be closer to $400/year for food, hay, dust, wood, and purified water. Vet bills don't necessarily come up yearly, though. That makes me wonder if they advocate rabies shots for chins, etc. Any mention of what vet care is supposed to entail?

Wow, their estimate was lower than I thought it would be.

Judging by my own spending for 3 chins for the past 4 months, it'll probably be closer to $400/year for food, hay, dust, wood, and purified water. Vet bills don't necessarily come up yearly, though. That makes me wonder if they advocate rabies shots for chins, etc. Any mention of what vet care is supposed to entail?

No it doesn't quite specify. I can't imagine how they would measure that though 0_o maybe by annual checkups or something.

Latest posts

Back