Straining to poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

Our favorite topic on this forum- POOP
We are picking our new dog up from the shelter tomorrow. As we were hanging out with her in play yard at the shelter yesterday we noticed she was really straining to get that last bit of poop out. She got most of it out fine, but then she kept circling around on the squat position like there was more and it wouldn't go. Who knows what the shelter was feeding her, but she will be on Kirkland Chicken and rice. We were in the process of switching Lucy to Taste of the Wild Salmon recipe, which was cost wise fine for a small dog that eats 1 cup of food a day. A German Shepherd will obviously eat 4 times more, so we will have to think about it. I know sheps have skin and coat allergy issues. I am so bummed that we can't wash her for two weeks. She is a dirty girl!
So, if she continues to have pooping issues, what would you all recommend? Green Beans? Potato?

It could be just from bad diet combined with lack of exercise at the shelter. She might be perfectly fine once out.

I may have missed it, why can't you wash her for two weeks?

As far as the straining goes, I've seen my dogs do that same thing, it's like people, you have different poop different times. If it's a continuous thing though then that could be pointing to an issue.

She is getting spayed in the morning. So, she will have to wait to get clean. I will wipe her down with a wet cloth and spray her with some doggy perfume.

I would mix some 100% canned pumpkin into her food. It should also help with any tummy issues she may have during the food switch.

Latest posts

Back