Strained but soft poos

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustbunnies

Mama of Pepper and Bunny
Pepper had small poos last night, but kind of soft. Tonight she had larger ones, still soft, but I saw her strain to do them. I know she needs to go to the vet....I am taking her. Is this likely statis? There are enough of them, but I am worried about a prolapse possibility. They aren't HUGE though (she had a few like that a couple days ago and I was told to giver her shredded wheat....then they got smaller).

I gave her some lifeline earlier today (it just came in) and just now. She has had liquids and is still eating.

Does she need the whole x-ray, sub q, reglan, and propulsid (if they have it) routine?

I wouldn't worry right now. I give the chins a day or two and see what happens. Sometimes the larger, smooshier droppings can actually be caused by hormonal fluctuations and changes in the reproductive system (uterine changes during a heat cycle, etc.) It doesn't seem to happen every time a female goes into heat. Still, that seems to be the time that it happens with my girls. Then, of course, there can be just changes in the digestive system where the chin eats more of something one day and less the other.

The Life Line will help any problems in the digestive tract and get things back to normal a bit faster. I'm not sure that I would rush into giving her meds and sub q fluids, she doesn't need the stress. As long as she's eating drinking and seems to be acting normally, I wouldn't worry. It is sort of strange for a chin to strain when expelling soft droppings though, normally they will strain for the smaller, dry droppings.

My chinnies have some variation in poop sizes depending on how much hay they've eaten, etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice a great reduction in poops. Give them all they hay they want to eat.

Latest posts

Back