Stomach Rumbles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llough

Hi Everyone,

A little while ago, I went into my chinchilla's (Izzie) room to take her out to play in the bathroom with me while I got ready for the day (I'm a late riser on sat. haha). She was sleeping, but woke up and wanted to come out, so I picked her up, and while I was carrying her to the bathroom I could hear her stomach making little growling noises (it sounded like my stomach when I'm hungry or ate something that didn't agree with me).

Is this normal? If it's not normal, is it gas and how much cause for alarm is it (ie. should I take her to the vet, or just rub her tummy and give her a little extra exercise?)? She is a little over 8 months old now, and as far as I can tell she has been pooping, eating and drinking fine (but I put down some clean fleece just to check her poops). She ran and jumped around the bathroom like normal. Thanks so much for your input! You guys have all been so incredibly helpful in the last six months.

Would not hurt to give her a couple of doses of simethicone-a dropper full every 4 hours or so and see if that helps, if you start to see ANY change in behavior a vet visit is in order since gas can become a bad thing to deal with if left untreated.

Ok - I don't have any simethicone. Is that the same as baby gas drops, or Mylecon, that I can buy at any pharmacy or do I need to go to a vet's to get it? The only things that I have on hand are life line, chewable acidophiles, and critical care. Thank you!

You can get baby gas drops at the pharmacy, yes.

As far as gut noises, I don't know how much of an emergency they are, but I do know chins' digestive tracts are similar to a horse's, and it's good to hear stomach sounds from them because it means the food is digesting properly (or at least that's what my aunt told me).

Definitely get the gas drops just in case, and hopefully someone like Peggy or another more chin-experienced person comes along.

Ok, thanks so much! I'm off to get some baby gas drops. How do I give them to her? I have an eye dropper, but do I just force them down plain, or should I mix them with some apple juice to make it more palatable? Also, how many ml/drops is a "standard" dropper full or dose every four hours? Do I just stop when her tummy stops rumbling? I haven't heard it rumble in a while.

Most chins dig simethicone-it is inert and stays in the digestive tract and is not absorbed by the body. The bottle comes with a dropper already, just give a dropper full. Since the noise is gone, I would just give one dose, it can't hurt and simethicone is good to have on hand. I have used to to mask nasty flavored meds before, that is just me and others may not agree with that use but it worked.

As far as gut noises-they should not be audible from a distance, if you hold the chin up to your ear you should hear soft gurgling, sort or like water trickling through a pipe.

Last edited:
As far as gut noises-they should not be audible from a distance, if you hold the chin up to your ear you should hear soft gurgling, sort or like water trickling through a pipe.

Good to know. llough, were you per chance holding your chin up on your shoulder or something?

The info about the gas noise was taken from the GI Stasis article in this section, normal gut noise is soft and gurgling.

Yea, that is good information to know. I was holding her against my chest like i usually do, sort of midway between my belly button and my collar bone. So, I guess she was kind of near my ear, but not right next to it at all. Should I still give her the simethecone, or maybe just some acidophiles?

Ok, I tried the simethecone and I don't think she liked it that much (haha) but she took it. I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks everyone!

Back