Still drooling...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eycamry

Sorry for posting another thread on my Polly. Her condition is not getting better after several visits to two different vets and teeth filing. The last time she went to Dr. Greek, I asked for another x-ray. Nothing was abnormal, no spurs nor infections. Dr. Greek said that he was puzzled as well. Well, that was 4 weeks ago. I've been hand feeding her everyday cuz she is not eating on her own. I know it might take a while for her to start eating on her own, but she is still drooling. It gets worse on some days that the saliva would wet her thigh. Her chin is always wet that I have to give her sand bath everyday. And she smells too. She is on 0.5cc metacam once a day.

My question is ... Is there another way to detect infections? Dr. Greek said that the x-ray would show infections, but I want to know if that are other more direct ways.

I don't think neither vets can give me any good suggestions as to what is wrong with her. If any of you have any suggestions, please do let me know. I am totally at lost. But please don't suggest PTS. Thank you!

Do you have a copy of the xrays. It sounds like malo, not infection or spurs. If you feel along her bottom jaw I'm going to guess it is probably pretty bumpy feeling.

Filings will not fix root malo, there is no cure for that. I'm sorry, but if you can post a picture of the xrays or email them to someone if you have them, or can get them, I or any of the other people who have seen malo could help you see if this is the issue.

I know you don't want anyone to suggest having her PTS, but if it's severe malo, it will never get better and she is probably in very severe pain. Basically what happens is that the roots actually grow through the jaw bones, even into the eye sockets. Sometimes the hardest decision to make is the one where you have to say I've done everything I can, but I can't let them suffer anymore, and put their quality of life before our emotional attachments. I'm sorry, if you can get the xrays I'd be glad to look at them, or if you can post them there are several members on the board who have dealt with malo. If a vet is not experienced with this issue, even the best exotic vet, they might not see the problem.

Keep her comfortable for now, that might be all you can do.

Last edited:
I have two x-rays done in the past two months, by two different vets. No overgrowth in roots. Just surface problems. I will ask for a copy of the xrays and post them in the next couple of days. Thanks, Riven.

Is she on any meds? LIke the tri-meth?? Maybe the dental worked nicked her or a previous spur causes a cut which got infected. It wont really hurt her to try another round of antibiotics.

X-rays

Here are the xrays. Do you see any abnormality?

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 28
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 31
  • Rostrocaudal.jpg
    Rostrocaudal.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 28
  • VD.jpg
    VD.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 25
In x-ray #1 and #2, I see elongation and the "roots" I:E ends of the teeth starting to curl, x-ray #3 I can clearly see points and the upper teeth curving towards the cheeks and x-ray #4 shows it also. I would look for a vet dentist who does chins in your area.

I asked my dentist this way back when, she said that filing the teeth to the gum line will speed up elongation. Looking at those x-rays that chin needs a good vet dentist to first clean up the points and correct the occlusal plane-(I can see a bit of wave mouth also). Then I would wait to see the results. The points look painful and that is what is causing the drooling above the gums.

Also, is Monrovia to far to drive? I heard about a vet there who has advanced training in dental procedures for exotic animals. I can find out the name if its close.

ticklechin, Monrovia is about one hour away from me. Could you please find out the name of that dentist? I wonder if I can send him/her the xray first before driving out there.

Thank you, ticklechin. I have written on her facebook. Hopefully she will reply soon.

I just gave Polly a piece of dried papaya cuz it is the only thing she is willing to eat on her own at this moment. While she was eating it slowly, I saw big droplets of saliva coming down from her paws. I am inclined to take her in tomorrow to file her molars completely down now seeing that she is drooling so much. I feel so sad seeing her like this. =(

Back