Sterilizing wooden toys....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

I have brand new chinnie toys that rou never played with...though were in his cage. I would love for my new baby to be able to play with/on/chew these to his hearts desire, but I would feel better if they were sterilized before hand. Any suggestions? I thought about running them through the dishwasher with no soap or with vinegar. thoughts?

I would verify the science here, but you could toss the wooden stuff in the oven on low for a while couldn't you? Not hot enough to start a fire but hot enough to kill off any buggies?

You could treat it like new wood. Boiling it and baking it for a little bit should do the trick. BUT I guess it really depends on the toy. If it is a hanging toy, it would depend on what it is strung with. Same with a tosser toy.

The hanging toy is strung with Twine and has pumice on it too (though the pumice should be fine, as it comes from a volcano ;D)

Boiling and baking it is!

Just my 2 cents from this Debbie Downer, having dealt with disease transfer from outwardly healthy chin to other chins through casual contact, I personally since there was no cause of death (correct me if I am wrong about that) would toss everything and not chance it.

I'd just throw everything out, too.

Baking everything would probably kill everything completely....setting things out in the sun in the UV light helps to kill bacteria....BUT you just never know. I throw out wooden items that come with rescues just to be safe. Wood can harbor bacteria and parasites and can't really be completely sanitized because it is so porous.

If you do decide that you are going to try to salvage the wooden things, bake them for as long as you can at over 300 degrees. It would be best to just start over.

Fair enough. Because I have time before I get him, I'll probably just get all new toys for him...just hate wasting is all xP

Just my 2 cents from this Debbie Downer, having dealt with disease transfer from outwardly healthy chin to other chins through casual contact, I personally since there was no cause of death (correct me if I am wrong about that) would toss everything and not chance it.

It was unknown, you are correct. I'll just *cringe* toss it all and buy new xP

Back