Southeastern Houston, TX?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in La Porte and believe me I have looked for closer vets in this area. I have one in Deer Park I use for simple things but go clear to Kingwood or the Galleria area for anything important. Gulf Coast Avian and Exotics is amazing. They are near the Galleria but boy are they expensive. It costs $300 just to walk through their door. They did a miraculous job on my malo chin's teeth but it cost over $1200. They have an emergency service with a chin knowledgable vet on call 24/7 even on holidays.

I recently found Loop 494 in Kingwood for my ferrets. I am taking one chin to them tomorrow for some dental work. This will be the first time I have had any work done on my chins so I'll have to reserve judgement on them till I see the results. So far, I've been impressed with them for my ferrets so I hope they are as good with the chins. They are very reasonable.

I lived in Galveston and took Gizmo to the vet there. If you've been to Galveston, its off 61st street heading towards the seawall. The vet is Dr. Henderson. He's the exotics vet there. When I went to see him, he told me he didn't see very many chinchillas, but he was extremely knowledgeable on them. Gizmo had a tooth problem (he got an infection), and during treatment, the vet would actually call me daily to see how he was and tell me about things that he had researched at home. He was one of the most caring vets I had ever been to. He graduated from Texas A&M Vet School (yea, I may be a bit biased, so what? :)) and he knows his stuff.

Office visits are about $40 (typical for most vets)
Gizmo's tooth problem was a bit costly though- he needed x-rays so he was sedated. So that issue alone cost me about $250.

I would HIGHLY recommend him. I was thankful that he was on the island. There is also an emergency vet clinic for after hours. It's off 45, at Calder Road. I've also gone to pick up critical care from a vet clinic in Dickinson (its good to have a place to get critical care in case you run out during an emergency). I don't have experience with the last 2, but having the contact info for an emergency vet for after-hours issues is a good idea. And it's not too far from you.

Dr. Henderson:
2108 61st Street,
Galveston, TX 77551
(409) 744-5357
http://www.galvestonvets.com/index.php

Animal Emergency Clinic at Calder Road:
1100 Gulf Freeway South,
Suite 104 - League City, TX 77573
(281) 332-1678
http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/animal-emergency-southeast-calder-road/home

Dickinson Animal Hospital
1100 FM 517 WEST
DICKINSON,Texas 77539
(281) 337-4535
http://www.dickinsonanimalhospital.vetsuite.com/Templates/Clean.aspx

Definitely try those places! Glad you're getting this information now, rather than later!

Thank you both very much for the info...I actually pass the Dickinson Vet almost every day :) They are no more than 15m mins from me. I would prefer to go to Galveston than Galleria...closer to me, esp with all this Houston traffic!

I am a huge organizer/planner, and love to be prepared and have Plan B, C, D and sometimes an E. Life throws lots of curve balls sometimes.

This information will go in my phone and my fridge right away!!!

Since u two are near me, did u get your chin kids from around here?

Yay glad to help! I was very lucky to find a vet for Giz when he got injured...especially in that area of Houston/Galveston.

And no, I got Gizmo at Petsmart in Tomball off 290 (north Houston). I know of a girl who lives in/near Pearland who has bred before. Not a big breeder, by any means- I think just a hobby breeder. But she's recently been selling some of her chins. My friend knows here, and from what she's told me, they need good homes. I would love to take one...or twenty...but I'm not capable of it.

BTW what is critical care? if I run out of it??? sorry if you want to PM thats ok too...i was rereading the posts again and saw this, and figured I should ask! Ay word about the hobby breeder??

critical care is a supplemental food for chins who need to be hand fed. the powder is mixed with water and syringe-fed to ensure that the chin's weight stays stable. during illnesses, some chins will go off their feed or their meds hinder their appetite. its important to keep the GI system moving so hand feeding is sometimes necessary.

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care

BTW I went to DR Henderson on NOV 30th and he told me the same thing, but very friendly and tried to answer all my questions and actually at the time Millie has slightly scratched her eye from some dust and the medicated drops he prescribed cleared her in a day or two. Thank you for the referral! Now that I am back up north in Ohio, with family waiting to move to SC for a job, I will have to locate some other exotic vets! Great references, again thank you so much!

yay thats awesome! dr henderson is really amazing and i was so happy and comfortable with all of my visits.

hopefully you can find another exotic vet up there!

Back