SOS....my chin seems like dying!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Totoro

my chin couldn't eat about three days ago. he is obviously lost energy and appetite. At the beginning, i found he ate became strange and he ate very slowly but he used to eat fast. Also he kept pawing his mouth like itch. And , I tried to feed him some flower seeds or pellets, he couldn’t catch it. he just dropped the food, and lost interesting in food. So I found a lot of info. online said that it could be teeth problem like too long needs to be trimming. So i took him to vet and vet gives him examination. But vet said there’s no problem of his teeth. But vet gave me some tools and taught me how to feed him with the tools. I tried to feed him with his pellet. I crashed the pallet and mixed with water. he sort of ate a little. But after that, he just slept. And seems like he almost dying and extremely weak. So I really don’t know what I should do now. is just the teeth problem or others? please help me!!!

Is english a second language for you?
Usted habla español? Você fala o espanhol?
We are having a hard time understanding the story.
You must tell us exactly what tools Vet gave you.
We want to help you... But you must give all information.

Important: He must eat, or he will die.
You feed him in mouth with syringe, At least 5cc.
Let him rest in a cool quiet place, for 2 hours, then feed him again 5cc.

Keep us informed.

Last edited:
It really does sound like teeth issues. You need to get him to eat. If you can't get Critical Care from your vet, you need to crush his pellets, wet them and force feed them through a syringe. You need to keep food moving through his system.

I suggest getting a new vet and getting x-rays done to see if it is the roots of the teeth growing too long.

Either way, there is definitely something wrong, I'd get a second opinion.

sorry about my english. yes, it is my 2nd language.
im trying to say is he couldn't eat, lost his energy, had watery eyes, and keep brushing his mouth. also, his dropping are thin and dry.
i already took him to the vet, but the vet just gave me the syringe to feed him. so i have already smashed the pellets and mixed with water so that i he can eat. but what im really concerned is the vet didn't exam any problem about his mouth or teeth, so if he is keeping not eating or just eat a little bit, what can i do besides taking him to the vet? or should i take him to another vet?

Is english a second language for you?
Usted habla español? Você fala o espanhol?
We are having a hard time understanding the story.
You must tell us exactly what tools Vet gave you.
We want to help you... But you must give all information.

Important: He must eat, or he will die.
You feed him in mouth with syringe, At least 5cc.
Let him rest in a cool quiet place, for 2 hours, then feed him again 5cc.

Keep us informed.

I agree 100% with alli713.
As she has mentionned, yes go and see another vet asap for a second opinion. Keep feeding him with the syringe until then.

good luck

If you need to post in spanish to describe words, we can translate, or others can use http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
I think we will all agree...
You need to visit another Vet.
Your chinchilla has possible mouth/tooth problems and will need X-Rays to make diagnosis.
To X-Ray chin he will need to be under general anesthesia(/anestesia) .

YOU MUST KEEP FEEDING HIM WITH SYRINGE... He needs your help to live right now.

Where do you live??? We might be able to help you better.

Last edited:
Where are you located? You should be feeding him as much as possible as oftens as possible and also syringing some water in between bites. Pain meds would also be a must.
Try canned Pumpkin or sweet potato baby food

I can understand your English fine :)). Your chinchilla is showing signs of teeth problems, you are right. You need to find a vet who knows how to treat chinchillas and get x-rays of your chinchilla's teeth. Your chinchilla could have something stuck in his/her teeth as well. You will not know for sure until your chin is sedated and a vet can really look inside well and get x-rays. Until then you must force feed your chin ground pellets with water or Critical Care even though he/she may not like it. Keep us posted!

im in north CA. the vet i saw before just told me that it could be the digestive problem. she also anesthetized him so she could give him a mouth check. but she said there's no problem(but i guessed she assumed it was digestive problem at first).
now, things get better, my chin started to eat the pellet without smash. he just ate a little and hey as well. but he is still pawing his mouth and also his dropping are thin and black.
i think i will take him to another vet next monday. and do the x-ray ASAP.

I can understand your English fine :)). Your chinchilla is showing signs of teeth problems, you are right. You need to find a vet who knows how to treat chinchillas and get x-rays of your chinchilla's teeth. Your chinchilla could have something stuck in his/her teeth as well. You will not know for sure until your chin is sedated and a vet can really look inside well and get x-rays. Until then you must force feed your chin ground pellets with water or Critical Care even though he/she may not like it. Keep us posted!

Where in Northern California? If vaguely bay area, Adobe Vet in Los Altos is good, they are a 24-hour facility. (650)948-9661 . They will see cases during the day on the weekend on an "urgent care" basis (a little less expensive than emergency)

UC Davis is near Sacramento if you're more central california: (530)752-1393 - they are emergency only on the weekends, but will see cases 24-hours.

There may be other vets around that will see chins on the weekends, but those are the two places I know of offhand. Some vets are open on Saturday and a few on Sunday during the day. "Northern California" covers a lot of ground - are you up closer to oregon? Or down here near the bay area?

A weak chinchilla that is not eating well is an emergency. Your chin may not make it til Monday.

If you are near Eureka, CA, I take my chins to Arcata Animal Hospital in Arcata, CA. They have two main vets, Lea-Shouse and Olifant who are great with chinchillas, but as for the emergency clinic in Eureka, they have free consultations on the phone and such, but the vet on staff for emergencies doesn't know too much about chins.

I hope he pulls through

Latest posts

Back