Somewhat new owner looking for any good advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelli - You just made my eyeballs pop out and a bunch of warns hit the inbox! ROFL

guys, this is israel she lives in NOT new jersy. no feed stores and things that in the states seem like big international companies i had never heard of until i moved from israel to the usa. also, taxation in israel is THROUGH THE ROOF (hundreds of percent) so please understand that even with the best intentions she may not be able to implement (at least not to the letter) the advice given no matter how well intentioned she is.

I know where she's from Shelli, just didn't realize it would be that hard to get food shipped in. Do they not allow it because it's a food substance?

they MAY allow it (import laws have changed a lot - i hope - since i left) but i would worry about reliable availability and wonder if she can find a good quality rabbit feed if that would not be better since she would not be at the mercy of international shipping.

i know you recognized where she was from it is just that someone said something about "feed stores" and i realized that most people here don't realize that there are none in israel and that the vast majority of israelis live in apartments NOT single family homes.

there are no chinchilla ranchers in israel so i am not even sure if one could get a pedigreed chin if one wanted to. things are just very very different and i think the best bet is to try and figure out what she can get locally rather than ship stuff (it is also expensive and hard to get dollar, and in general life is not quite as easy as it is here... when i say that "americans don't know how good we have it", i know of what i speak!)
I know where she's from Shelli, just didn't realize it would be that hard to get food shipped in. Do they not allow it because it's a food substance?

Maybe checking the large sites, like Oxbow or Mazuri to find out if they sell their products in Israel would help?

Perhaps if she were given the content analysis of Oxbow or Mazuri she could look for a feed that may have a similar content analysis? We used to have that posted somewhere but I'm not sure if it's on this site yet...

this is all good advice other than the fact that labeling laws are also different and there is a possibility that the information is not available. not trying to knock the wind out of anyone's sails just point out some of the difficulties of giving advice when the person lives in another country.

that being said, to check sites of the manufacturers and/or labels (if available) is great advice.

diva chins - all chins (not just pet store chins) CAN develop all sorts of horrible illnesses (genetic, congenital, and other). also, pet store chins in the states are NOT pelting "rejects" and are even less likely to be that in israel where there are no chin ranchers.

by the way peggy, most my post in hebrew is regarding the need for a/c (not an appliance found in every home in israel) where the temperatures routinely go well over 90 degrees and even people who have a/c don't run it all the time since electricity is so expensive...

Last edited:
Thanks for taking into consideration that I live internationally, I will look into the international shipping and to be honest with you guys, if my fiance can spend hundreds of dollars buying ps3 games from europe and asia or wherever I can pay to have food shipped for my chins, they are MUCH more important than his video games... BTW I live in a kibbutz and we r very spoiled so we def bought the ac and the temp is kept at a constant 23-25 degree range in consideration of the chins... As far as the breeding it is something I will read up on and really think hard about before and if I decide to... Thanks for all the info, and when i found out bout the feed ill let you all know if i found a shipper!! Also, im very sorry but I havent mastered hebrew yet, Im looking into the ulpan but Ill have my fiance read the message for me :)

Latest posts

Back