Something is wrong with Kodah :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaandroses

I left for one night, and came back to my chinchilla acting very strange. Before I left, he was jumping everywhere, being his happy normal self. I came back this morning to a sad tired chinchilla. He feels light, like he got skinnier over night! Usually when I hold him, he hops around me and looks at things. I'm holding him right now and he's just sitting there, not moving. Not like him at all. I've never seen Kodah act like this. My mom says he was SUPER energetic last night, and he was jumping around his cage and everything. He's eating and drinking normally. He seems to be jumping around normally, but not energetically. Usually when I put him on my floor, he goes crazy and runs around and everything. I put him on the floor today, and he just sat there. I had to use a treat to get him to hop, and it doesn't look like he broke anything. He's not over heated, he actually feels a little cold. I left him in his cage with food and water all day, and he still is acting weird. Also, I just noticed that it looks like he has been fur chewing a little, which I've never seen until today! Apparently over the night I was gone, somehow my dog got into my room and opened his cage door, and then my sister found my chinchilla on the floor later. P.S. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED AND WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, I'M MOVING HIS CAGE TO ASSURE IT DOESN'T. Anyways, I'm extremely upset and worried. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say before I think about going to the vet.

Last edited:
If you are suggesting the dog has attacked your chinchilla then he needs to be taken to a vet now.

If you are suggesting the dog has attacked your chinchilla then he needs to be taken to a vet now.
No, I'm not. My chinchilla, as I said, can function normally. If my dog attacked my chinchilla, he would've been at the vet's five hours ago. He has no wounds.

I know you're only young & in a panic but your story does not make sense - according to your post the dog got into the cage & your sister found him on the floor a while later ........ it is possible the dog attacked him (or at the very least he was out of the cage with the dog present).

I am posting according to what you said in your first post:

He is lethargic according to your story & you want help - he needs to see a vet. Now.

If he was out of the cage then he could have injured himself, been electrocuted by chewing wires, been attacked or stood on by the dog ...... the possibilities are many.

He needs a vet - you say he has no wounds but you say he looks fur chewed ..... that could be due to wounds or bites or dog slobber etc.

You say he is not acting normally & feels lighter - he needs to be seen by a vet - we cannot help you on the forum because we are not vets & cannot see your chinchilla.

Please get him to a vet.

Last edited:
Just because you don't see any wounds doesn't mean your dog didn't attack him. Your dog could've squeezed him resulting in internal injuries.

Okay, here's an update. My sister is a liar. After a long talk with my mom, she finally admitted that my dog NEVER openned the cage, and she never found the chinchilla on the floor. She's eight, and I'm pissed that she lied, but I'm happy that my dog didn't hurt Kodah. He is actually acting much more normal suddenly, and is eating like a beast. He is still somewhat sluggish, but he's a lot better. I can't explain why he feels lighter. Also, suddenly I don't see the chewed fur. Maybe it was just a shadow? Maybe I was just worrying to much after my sister told me that ****. Thank you guys.

You can ignore the symptoms but something happened if the chinchillas condition was what you described when you wrote the emergency thread.

Something just doesn't seem right. Ok so your sister said she lied. But the chin was still in a bad condition at first (at least). If your sister lied about the dog, could she really have opened the cage herself and maybe squeezed the chin too hard and is afraid to tell the truth what really happened. The chin could still have internal injuries that is hiding very well. I would still take it to the vets especially if he is still sluggish

You know your pet best. If he's suddenly acting strange, I'd at LEAST take him in for a checkup. Anything unusual is suspicious.

One reason, I think, that chins sometimes feel lighter is that when they're ill...especially illness causing listlessness and lethargy, their muscles aren't moving as much or reacting to their environment. So essentially, their limpness makes them feel floppier...almost lighter.

Regardless, I personally had a buyer this year...purchased a chinchilla. Said he was acting off (lethargic style) one day...but acted fine the next so she didn't take him to the vet. He was dead within a few days of initially acting out of sorts. I told her, when I was informed of this, that she should've taken him to the vet when he was acting odd.

How is Kodah now?
Well I decided to take him in to the vet. He is just fine now. He actually seems healthier than ever. It actually turns out he was dehydrated! I thought I saw him drinking out of his water bottle but it turns out that it was broken and wasn't giving him water. Thank you everyone for convincing me to get him to the vet. And my sister didn't squeeze him (I had that suspicion too), she just wanted to rattle me up. Evil! :hair:

Wonderful news. Glad you took him to the vet and discovered the problem. Glad also that your sister didn't squeeze him. Yea, kids can be 'evil' - love them anyway.

Back