Some times you just want to hit someone.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

I rescued a little female a few days ago. Her back story is that she was part of a chinchilla "family" that was being sold on Craig's list consisting of 1 female, one male and one baby. The owner insisted that they not be split up. She was asking $500 for them. Well another lady manged to get them to give her the female. Unfortunately,the first owner still had her in with the male up until giving her away. The rescuer had her for a couple of days when the poor momma delivered twins, Both kits died within hours of birth. Add to this the fact that the momma chin was having seizures and is drooling off and on. The woman who rescued her decided it was more than she could handle so she contacted me. When I got the little girl here, she had a couple of seizures as I was putting her in her new cage so I held her until the seizures passed. I weighed her after the seizures stopped and she weighed 495 grams, my guess is that she should weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 grams. She is seriously under weight. I can feel every bone in her little body and her teeth are the whitest teeth I have aver seen. She ate like she's never seen food before the second I put her in the cage. I have only seen one more seizure since she got here and she is aleady gaining weight, but she has a long road ahead of her.

Well, I will keep you all posted on little miss Molly. Hopefully it will be good news.

I am really glad that she is now in competent and caring hands and I hope that she is able to pull through and grow big and strong for you!

She'll be alright...she's probably had way too many babies in a short amount of time.

It's best to just not think about being angry with people. I used to get so worked up about rescues that came in and were in bad shape. You'll only hurt yourself if you think about it too much. Just enjoy Molly and stay as positive as possible. :)

The seizures will probably go away in a day or so. Low calcium, low blood sugar and malnutrition all make for really horrible looking seizures. :( Get some good pellets and lots of good hay into her and in a month you will be amazed about how good she starts looking.

Thanks for taking her in...she's probably going to be such a loving little girl very soon. A little TLC is going to go a long way! :)

Your chinchilla's past is really sad. But it makes me happy that you took her and I feel you will give her a good home with lots of love.
Thank you for that :)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words and support.

I just could not leave her where she was at. Although the lady I got her from was really nice, she just did not know how to help her. Molly has had only 3 seizures since arriving here and they are getting farther and farther apart. She had at least 4 of them on the way home with her. She eats really well is gaining weight and just about went nuts when I handed her an alfalfa hay cube. This little girl is stealing my heart.

Thats a problem i face. I would like the idea of helping chins out like that, but i can only take so much from stupid and heartless ppl like that. I would go crazy..

Its also the reason i would make the 'old lady with 20 cats' look like nothing. I wouldnt trust anyone enough to rehome a chin, and would want to keep them all.

Im glad your able to help the chin.

Unfortunately, this little gal continued to go downhill is spite of our efforts. We had her checked and she had malo on top of her other issues. We did the kindest thing we knew and had her put to sleep.

Latest posts

Back