some random ?s & concerns

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cmills5081

1..Okkk so today was rufios 3rd day with me and I just lovee having him even though all I pretty much get to do is look for now. I have a couple things I have noticed and would like to see if I can get some advice on what's going on. Ok for one it seems like he alwayssss wants to sleep like its 1215 now and he's like out is that normal is he just bein lazy or is he just tryin to get used to the place still? I sit outside his cage and sing for about an hour or so with my 1 arm in the cage so he can explore me sometimes he will sniff niblle climb lick and all that but sometimes he will almost seem skitchy to come is that just cuz he's not completly aware of who I am yet or does he not want anything to do with me?

2..Ummmm what elseee bare with me please :) he seems kinda clumbsy when jumping from shelves and stuff is this because he is only 2 months old? Or maybe just not used to the distance of them cuz his last cage was tinyyyyy with 4 chins squeezed in it or is he just kinda slow? :/I just don't want him to hurt himself by missing or coming short jumping to shelf to shelf I did add 3 more shelves since I posted my last thread.

3..Alsoo it does not seem like he has been eating a whole lot of food or drinking too much water yet. But he has been chowing on some timmy hay that's for sure. His poo is pretty solid so is this because he is still nervous and scared? I'm waiting for my mazuri food to come in tomorrow he has been eating some crappy food that the girl gave me till mine came in which has "treats" in it and he kinda seems to pick them out so I hope he eats the mazuro? Any ideas on how that's gonna go?

4..And finallyyy the last concern is he seems to be "picking" at himself quite a bit like itching hissides with his ffot like a dog or cat doesand keeps running his cute little hands over his face and biting or licking random spots of his body? Is any of this normal or is something wrong....oh god I hope not.

5..Please please pleaseee take the time to help me out and answer my concerns patiently..you have no idea how much I appreciate when people actually care enough to read all this and give me good answers I love it :) I love rufioso much I just wanna know everythingg! Thanks again in advancee

1. It takes a long time for some chins to get acclimated to their new surroundings. Just take things slow. The fact that he is coming up to you and grooming you this soon in the game is a great sign! He'll be a love bug in no time. :)

2. Young chins are crazy clumsy. I would recommend putting a hammock in the center of the cage, about half way down, to act as a net in case of a fall. You can always add more shelves as well.

3. He's still getting acclimated to his new surroundings, so he's just fine. Some chins don't drink a ton, some do. It just depends on the chinchilla. As long as he is drinking he's fine. As for the food, you need to take the treats out of the food you are giving him until the Mazuri gets there. He is filling himself up on hay and the "goodies" in his food, so of course he has no want for the actual pellets. Who would want to eat brussel sprouts when you have an endless supply of ice cream? ;) As for the switch, as long as the treats are taken out, mix about half Mazuri and half crappy food. Every week take out a bit more crappy and add in more Mazuri. Usually it is recommended to do it with a bit less of the new food, but since the other food is crappy you would want to get him off that as quickly as possible, but without stressing out his tummy. You can also sprinkle some acidophilus on the top of his pellets to help keep his tummy regular with the food change.

4. He's just grooming himself. Chinnies like to stay clean, so the face cleaning and cleaning of the fur is completely normal. My chins also scratch themselves like a doggy, which I think is the cutest thing ever. Completely normal.

5. We don't mind helping. That's what the forum is here for. :)

1. Some chins take months to adjust to a new owner/home, so at 3 days, he's doing wonderfully.

2. He's young & clutzy - like a puppy that hasnt grown into his body just yet. Make sure - as stated - he cant fall & hurt himself. Have shelves & hammocks every 10-12" so if he does fall, it isnt very far.

3. Chinchillas dont naturally drink much water. Being he's so young I would pick out any treats in his food and give him nothing but pellets & hay. Treats for any chin are unhealthy in excess, but especially so for one as young as him.

4. They groom themselves like cats. So long as his skin doesnt look irritated, I wouldnt worry about it. Sounds normal to me.

5. Better to ask questions & find its nothing to worry about - than to not ask and find out it was something serious. PS - welcome to chinnidom, there's no escaping now :p
~Barb~

It sounds like you are doing a great job of observing your chin. Keep up the good work!!

Wow thanks sooo much for those of you that have replied to me so far its wonderful to see so many people who care! And thanks for the compliments about me doing a goodjob as well I am def tryin to be the best daddy for my lil man...my spoiled lil man that is...I actually noticed this morning that rufio is becoming muchhh better with all of his shelves he was leaping clear across the cage to other ones and yeah I do have shelves about every 4 to 5 inches or so for safety. Anyone know whre a goodplace to get a full size hammock is? I have the corner1 from camphor does she have fulls ones also?

And as for switching food I am very low in the "bad" food soo idk how long I could make it last unless I just give him a lil bit of food at a time? I don't wanna make the switch super fast but if I run out of "bad" food wat eelse can I do ya know. And where can I buy that acidopilus att??

Well, i certainly agree with Essentia in throwing out the treats in that "crap" food!hehe Also, you'll see people really, really do care on this forum--and there are never too many questions or silly ones. In fact, i had to just get onto the guinea pig forum (as a silent learner--got a new pig with a problem ugh!) and someone complained that people get handslapped for too many questions. ouch!
Glad to hear you added a few more shelves!!yah! Hammock --even temporary-would be good--give you peace of mind too!
I mark my water bottles (with a line) and always check daily so i know what's the norm for them.
I'd definately sprinkle the acidophilus over food during change and give 2-3 x week as routine later.
You are doing great --getting the info you need and paying attention to your pets behaviors. Once you've had him awhile, with his routines and all, you'll really get to relax and enjoy him!!

Thanks nancy and aw I'm sorry to hear about ur lil piggy problem :/ umm does anyone know where to get that acidoplius stuff??and wat exactly is itt?

Acidophilus is basically digestive bacteria. You can find it at most drug stores and any health food store. You want to get the one with the most organisms you can, usually it will say on the bottle.

I buy 3 billion count "Natrol" acidophilus from: The Vitamin Shoppe.com (cheap shipping too!) The bigger count is necessary i've heard. I use capsules for a food change--if sickly--sprinkle on shreddie or food etc. on occasions
But, for regular maintanence i give the 1 billion count strawberry wafers (cut into 4) give one quater piece--2 x week. I buy this from: Drugstore.com
Both need refridgeration.
Also, to note, have some critical care onhand too. (just in case--gets sick)
I know someone sells it here--i just cant remember who it is. Maybe they;ll post it for you or look it up. Get the apple/banana favor one. I have bought mine from Lambert Vet Supply.com--$6 and shipping cost more than supplement --$8--ugh...But, you really, really got to have it. Cos, tomorrow or so i'll have to be using it for the gp ( with his illness).:(

The acidophilus helps the gut to manage changing food rapidly and helps maintain a healthy balance of naturally occuring helpful bacteria in the gut...You could do a cold switch on the food if you wanted and just pull the old food but you will definately need to give the acidophilus and give lots of hay...As long as the Mazuri pellets are fresh your chin should really like them...I found when I tried to switch gradually from tradition to panr pellets my chins would pick out the tradition and not eat it anyways. Just watch his poos and make sure they aren't too squishy, runny, too small, etc.

Welcome!

One of my chins got his name thanks to that clumsy stage. Crash hadn't yet learned how to stop once he'd started running on a tile floor and Crashed into me, the door, the tub and everything else that was standing still. :) Perfectly normal. Also, their depth perception isn't great, so even older chins will sometimes miss a jump when they're not very familiar with an area. Right now, as long as he's eating, drinking, pooping, and not getting too many treats, you're doing great. :)

Latest posts

Back