Soft poos out of nowhere

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read through this thread and agree with just about everyone that you were sold bad hay. One of my boys used to get mushy poo every few weeks and I couldn't figure out why. I switched their food from Tradition to PANR (Purina Advanced Nutrition for Rabbits) and so far no mushy poo!! They've been on it for about 2 months.

Back on point, when Cheeko would get mushy poo I would give him shreddies and sprinkle activated charcoal over his pellets and it would usualy clear up in a day or two. I have also used burnt toast when I didn't have the activated charcoal on hand and it works also.

Well, obviously she doesn't want to take away pellets if they hay is bad. I would get your regular hay again and see if it gets better. It seems hay has been very iffy lately, I have read so many similar threads. Good luck, hope both the boys feel better soon!

Did you get my message I sent you about the hay?

I still have enough of the Oxbow to last me until tomorrow when my pet store opens again. The poo does seem to be better today. It isn't as large or soft, but it's still not completely back to normal.

When one or more of mine get soft poos, I give them each a shreddie a day and that clears it up within a day or two. Good luck!

I lost a chinchilla due to bad hay. It was supposed to be weed free certified and I fed it to the chins all of them got soft poo, but one female got BAD soft poo and the vet tried everything thought maybe she retained a placenta (her kit was a week old) but then the kit bloated too. All we could find in the hay was some type of thistle (maybe bull thistle) but the outcome for one chin was punctured intestines from the thistle spikes (found on autopsy). Now I check every handful of hay I feed certified or not. The kit was saved and grew up just fine but it made me very leery of trustng any baled hay.

So far the hay I have purchased from our feed store here has been fine.. but after reading it this does make me a bit paranoid now.

I am thinking of switching over to the 50/50 cubes but I know of someone who got bad cubes and lost chins to that as well.

Has anyone used Bunny Bale? It came highly recommended on a bunny forum I was reading through yesterday. They will send you a sample for just shipping so I ordered one. Their hay isn't horribly pricey either. For 25 lbs. it's $14.00 and then $14.55 shipping. While $30 is way more than a regular bale it's still way less than buying it in bags.

http://www.bunnybale.com

Or how about kleenmama's hayloft? That also came recommended. Unfortunately you have to make an account there so I'm not sure how much shipping is on 25 lbs, but the hay itself is $15.00 so it's about the same prices as Bunny Bale. I'm going to email her to see if she's willing to send me a sample.

http://www.kmshayloft.com/index.html

Oh yeah! Update. Their poos are better. Not 100% yet, but still better. I would take a picture but I can't find the cable to connect the camera to my laptop. Boo.

Back