Soft poops help...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bairnns

I've dealt with this several times before, and trips to the vet have been less than fruitful- I don't get any more from them than I do from you, and usually could have handled it myself as it seems to clear on its own eventually, with maybe a diet adjustment, rather than an actual diagnosis and medical treatment.

But I have a somewhat stubborn case and hope you guys can give me some extra guidance. I will, of course, go to a vet if my little guy gets any sicker.

So here's the situation: one year old violet male, undersized. Bought from a home breeder when he was about 3 mos old. I feed Oxbow pellets and Oxbow timothy hay, with occasional treats of whole oats or shredded wheat.

Since this guy is staying small, and thin, I supplement sometimes with Alfalfa, for the extra fat. A week or so ago I picked up some Nature's Promise Premium Alfalfa Hay, marked 'no pesticides'. After having it in the cage for a day or so, the little one's poops started to be soft and sticky. Not watery- they come out formed but squish when he steps on them.

This has been going on for a week and is no better and no worse. He eats, drinks, takes treats and seems to have a normal activity level. His cagemate ate the same stuff and is fine, but this little guy has shown signs before of a sensitive gut. So I don't really suspect a bacteria or parasite, because I think they'd both have it by now, but rather an overreaction to the new hay.

Here's what I've done so far: removed the hay and replaced with the usual Timothy. Duh. Tried a day without pellets, hay only for the extra roughage. Given extra shredded wheat, also for the roughage. Tried some Bene-Bac to no avail, but mine is old so it may be no good. So I scanned this board and two days ago bought a bottle of plain Acidophilous capsules from the refrigerated section of the health food store, and fed him a little, mixed in some Critical care and a bit of water. Last night I gave him some more of the same but with a little pumpkin mixed in too.

Still, the poops are soft today. Is there a correct amount and frequency for acidophilous? Or pumpkin? Many of the probiotics at the healthfood store had multiple strains of bacteria; I stuck with the straight Acidophilous because I wasn't sure what other ones were okay for chins. Should I get a mix, and if so, which one?

Any further suggestions would be appreciated! I'm watching him closely of course.

Lori

How soft is soft? Do they get smeared around the cage from him jumping on them, or do they pretty much hold shape?

You don't want him to lose too much water and get dehydrated. Personally after a week of trying things I would get nervous and have a vet look him over. Not sure what everyone else thinks though.

You can use any of the probiotics, they will all work and often will work well with the extra strains. It doesn't have to be plain acidophilus...it can have the bifidus and other strains, they all work and they all perform a slightly different function.

I'd keep going with large amounts of acidophilus. That will help bring things under control. Sometimes it will take a day or two to see improvement just because it takes the probiotics a bit to do its job. Give it time. I don't know if I would start with the charcoal just yet. Charcoal inhibits absorption of nutrients in the intestinal tract and I know that I only use it when there is very runny diarrhea and it's imperative that I get it to stop very quickly.

Slightly mushy droppings can be a sign of bacterial imbalance or also of intestinal irritation. Peppermint works well with soothing the digestive tract, as does oregano. You could sprinkle a little dried peppermint on the pellets...he'll probably really like, mine always do.

I'd keep giving him the hay. He needs the hay and that should not be what is causing soft droppings. Keep the pellets in the cage, but take an entire capsule of the probiotic and sprinkle it over the food and then sort of mix it in.

My treatment for diarrhea or soft droppings is to put an entire acidophilus capsule in the pellets, mix it in and then give extra timothy hay. Most diarrhea clears up in two days without anything harsh. If it's still around after that, I give the peppermint for a day or two. And, if it's particularly bad, I start chins on Albon for three days. That almost always knocks it out completely.

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if too much acidophilous could hurt him. Good to know I can use a whole capsule. I'll do what you suggest.

He has hay. I just took out the alfalfa, and replaced it with the regular Oxbow timothy I use routinely.

Lori

I have heard that Alfalfa hay can cause soft poos....is this right? And possibly can take a bit to clear up? Or even a batch of bad hay can cause problems a while after stopping its use?

Last edited:
How soft is soft? Do they get smeared around the cage from him jumping on them, or do they pretty much hold shape?

No, they squish down into flattish pieces, but don't get smeared around. When fresh they are kind of wet looking. But if he steps in them, they pretty much stay where they are. Maybe he has a little residue on his feet, but nothing that's makiing a big mess. His butt isn't dirty either. That's why I'm not panicking.

Lori

I'm having the same problem with my gizmo. Three weeks ago he has coccidia, and a yeast problem. He has the parasite gone, but now has massive overgrowth of bacteria. He has had squishy poo for 3 weeks now. Its very frustrating. Best of luck with him.

It may be my imagination, but it seems when I give a whole capsule of primadohpilus (5 billion count) to Bunny (she is 430g), her poos are bigger (an thus softer) and that 1/2 capsule a day is enough. She recently started an antibiotic and I upped the primadophilus and they got softer. I haven't ever gotten any smeared, but ones that are sticky, wet, or squish somewhat easily. Keep an eye on it.

Bryson gets random bouts of soft poo.

If I give him too big of a shreddie, his poops go soft, if 1 thing changes with his schedule or if I clean my room (yes that triggers it) he will get soft poo.

The thing that helps with him is to give him a whole acidophilus chewable caplet, a dropper of simethicone, and I keep a baggie full of pellets coated with activated charcoal on hand. I empty out his food bowl for the night, replace food with the coated food, and give him extra timothy hay. Problem solved.

I did notice though, when my area of Arizona apparently went on a Timothy hay strike, (Not really, I just couldn't find any, oddly) I had to use orchard grass. That made his poos very soft and didn't firm back up until today, when I finally found some timothy hay.

It amazes me at how sensitive they can be.

Brittney...if you ever need hay, just ask. I'm going to be back up in Phoenix on Saturday...

Sometimes just having a new person hold a chin for a few minutes will bring on soft droppings. It happens here quite a bit when I have people over to pick out their chins.

Thanks so much folks....he's all plugged up now! I just have to watch him for the opposite- he has a tendency to go too small and firm. Out cometh the petromalt...once I'm sure he's been firm for several days.

Lori

Back