Soft poo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

Zipper had soft poo. So we pulled the pellets and gave charcoal for a week. We gave him a tablespoon at night after the week (they had been normal 3-4 days). But his poo turned soft again. So we pulled pellets and waited a week. We tried just 10 pellets fed over a few hours. Still went soft. He's getting tons of hay, which he's eating. And he's drinking and acting normal. Any ideas?

Oh he is pooping normal aside from being soft when given even 1 pellet. He was on mazuri more than a year ago and has this problem even worse. Now he's on PRSC just like our other 2 chins and 2 rabbits. They're not having problems.

Ideas?

When we were giving charcoal it was more of a dark brown instead of black. The smell is the normal - none. There's no mucous at all.

I agree with Barb, time to see the vet. What kind of water is he drinking? What kind of treats does he get? Has anything changed in his environment? I would start giving him some probiotics while you try to get in to see the vet. Seems odd to me that he's had soft poo issues before and that now they're back. It could be something serious.

Probiotics would probably be a good idea. It sounds like his digestive system just doesn't know what to do with the alfalfa hay or something in the pellets. He could have a lack of gut bacteria that allows him to digest the food properly.

Back