so what is YOUR excuse for your numbers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinchildren

i realize that some people here have several-many chins but in fact do NOT breed. i figure they are just junkies. and then i thought about my own twenty something chins some of which don't produce or produce very VERY little, or produce and stop, or whatever and i figured that i am a junkie who calls herself a "breeder" so she has a good excuse for the number of animals she has...

so how many of you have multiple animals (say more than 8) and truly do NOT breed? how many do you have? did you ever breed and if so why did you stop? will you breed in future?

Well I just re-homed several, but my excuse was that I was RESCUING THEM!! I love getting new chins in all the time, so the only way to justify it to myself, and to my husband is to say that I am rescuing them-- it works!! I also get satisfaction out of finding them good homes too.

that's an even better excuse; you get to be a good person too!

p.s. sorry about the typo in the name of the thread.

I know my profile says I have 30+ chins but in as of TODAY, I have 35 chins in my chin room. This number will fluctuate because I will take in chins from my shelter and the other two in the area and try to find them homes. Note that the key word is try! All of my chins are either shelter chins, chins surrendered to me from private breeders or retired breeders or didn't quite make the cut chins from Peggy (tunes).
The few times I had kits born in my house were due to chins I was holding for transportation along a railroad. They were breeding chins that were just visiting my house. Talk about sending me into a panic attack!
My home is strictly pet only based on the number of species I have and I honestly have no interest in breeding anything, nor do I intend to start.

I have 10. Three are rescues. Four are pet only. And three "could "be bred. However one of the three is going to be too small for my needs and will be finding a new home. So its just the two boys who might be bred depending on how well they do at York. My numbers could change at any time with the addition of a few foundation animals. But my numbers will remain small due to space and respondsible breeding.

Well... I don't have that many.. just Phoenix and the two new girls... but I went from one to three in a matter of weeks! My excuse is that they all were rescued! That goes for all of my other "numbers" too... :p

I have 23 chinchillas at the moment. That's a bit more than I want right now, but some of those will be for sale in April. Of those that are staying, 6 are non-breeder and three may never breed again for various reasons. My justification...I don't really have one. They're my family, just like the dogs, the evil cat, my sister, etc.

I only have two. my excuse for the numbers is I can't fit anymore in, or else i'd certainly get more.....lol

Our numbers go up and down with however many rescues we have in at the moment. They will be going up again once we come back from the Empress show in 2 weeks. :D

Mine are lower than I would love to have because we are getting ready to move here in a few months. Once they get their own chin room and my husband gets his own manland then I was told "I don't really care what you do" :D I have 7 breeders and two pets.

^ I like that answer best so far LOL

I currently have 19 - some are rescues, some are breeders but not currently in breeding, some are retired breeders that I'm too attached to let go. And then we have the breeding trio who havent really produced much in the year or so they've been together. I think I use the "breeder" term as an excuse to just have lots of fluffy pets :p
~Barb~

Offspring not good enough to show, rescues with issues that I can't re-home, retired breeders...and a few that I bought and then didn't breed because of size/conformation never filled in with age.

Numbers are in the mid-30s...I don't count as at this time it's a slow downward attrition as they pass away with age or freak cage-fights (I have same sex pairs that have been together for 3+ years go bonkers once in a while). I'd rather find homes for the rest and get down to one or two...My time has become too busy to maintain the group the way I want.

I started off with liking the pretty colors too and took in a few rescues. Most are pet only except for a couple pairs who've had babies recently. My first 2 were violets, then I fell in love with eb whites/mosaics, then the ebony, then the beiges,etc etc. I don't really consider myself a breeder.

Chinniecrew, you pair males and females, therefore you are a breeder.

Mine all needed new homes (aside for... one who probably didn't NEED a new home. I'm sure the guys at Slkrhein would've gladly kept him haha)

I now have 6!! After I got Cheeko I wanted to get him a cagemate, so I called on Monika at PTChins....boy was that a mistake LOL. I brought Gideon home from her herd not long after I got Cheeko. Then she (Monika) just HAD to send me a pic of the twins (Frick & Frack)....I don't remember much after that, but it was pretty much downhill from there.

I only have four, but once I move inot a house I would love to have as many as possible. I'd like to start a rescue, for cats and chins. So many poor babies with out someone to love them properly...Anyway, I just don't have room right now. Besides I need to get a pink white and a mosaic to complete my collection BAH AH AH AH!!! But seriously, I just love them and think of them as part of my family.

Back