so kinda freaking out-dental issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
So I (having horrible insurance as a kid-therefore having horrible dentists as a kid) and terrified of the dentist. I have a cavity on my back molar and am going to the dentist tomorrow for a consultation (sp?) and them making an appt. for next Friday.

But I'm now worried I might need a root canal. Before, my tooth only hurt if a piece of salt or sugar etc got stuck...and that was it. This morning I was eating an omlet with peper on it and bit down on a small thing of pepper and it's been bothering me all day ever since. If I touch the top of my tooth with my finger it hurts. Drinking water hurts. Brushing the tooth even hurts!

I had a bad anxiety attack today just thinking about it. Anyone have any history with root canals? Or dentists out there that may be able to put my mind at ease?!

I know it seems silly, but it's my honest and truthful fear. The kind that hits in the bottom of your stomach, and I'm freaking out about it. :cry3:

I would not freak until you see the dentist, as cavaties can hurt that bad too. However, having worked in a dentist office, for some time, I will say I would rather have the tooth pulled and put a partial in. If I needed a root canal that is.

Good luck with it, and if you have that bad of attacks, ask to be premedicated with an anti anxiety med before the procedure.

Ugh, I hate dentists too! But from what I've heard, for some, root canals aren't all that bad.
I'd just take it one step at a time and not try to worry.

Good luck with it, and if you have that bad of attacks, ask to be premedicated with an anti anxiety med before the procedure.

Thanks! That'll probably be helpful. I know that it's kinda irrational, but from the stories I could tell-it's a lot more reasonable. I'm really hoping to not have a break down in the office, I don't want to offend the dentist.

Tara, for a consultation (sp?) what would they be doing (if you know...) Is it just basically a peek and poke or should I prepare myself for tomorrow too...

Usually for consults, you see the dentist, they poke around, they may do x rays since you are having an issue with it. I would make sure to mention you would like meds before hand. Most dentists will be more then willing to oblige, or at least tell you to call your family doc to get them.

Good luck with it! I hope it is nothing serious for you. My step mom is terrified, she has to take I think it is 3 valium or 2 I cant recall just to go for a cleaning or she will bounce around in the chair.

i have spent a small forturne on my mouth, many root canals, with beautiful porcelin crowns. when i laugh there is no silver! having said that when i was 19 i would have asked for the "laughing gas" aka nitrous oxide and then get the needles to numb the area. now they just rub the gel on my gums and give me the needle. you really dont feel anything, and the only things that have bothered me is my lips were dry, so i always but vaseline on before and my jaw was sore from holding open.
just relax and let the dr know if you feel anything, because if you do they will further numb the area.

Dentistry all comes down to the individual dentist. There are dentists that are really good. I worked for a dentist for 4 years as an assistant (b4 I had kids) and he would give an injection and people stated they didn't even feel it. There are also horrible dentists that can make a routine procedure a nightmare. When you go in for your consult, let your dentist know how nervous you are. It really does help the dentist so he can take things a little more slowly with you and make you more comfortable. Nitrous Oxide is also available in most offices as a way to make you a little less aware of what is going on. Have your dentist describe it to you if you are not aware of this. He needs to take an x-ray of your tooth to see how big the cavity is. If the cavity goes very deep, close to the nerve chamber of your tooth(where the tooth's feeling originates) then he may suggest a root canal. A root canal requires the same numbing as a filling would, and just means the nerves will be removed from the tooth with a series of small files. He will clean out the nerve canals, smooth the insides, and fill them with a filler so bacteria can't invade the space. Root canals aren't as scary as everybody thinks they are. There are a few that have had nightmare stories, but most people won't complain about the procedure. If you do need a root canal, your dentist will go over the need for a crown to fit over the top of the tooth to hold it together. You can get a gold crown or a porcelain (tooth colored) crown. Your denstist should discuss all options with you at your consult. He will look in your mouth, but will not perform anything scary to you tomorrow. The worst thing about dentistry is the cost!!! But again, let your dentist know ahead of time how anxious you are so he can take the proper time with you to make you more comfortable. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dentistry all comes down to the individual dentist. There are dentists that are really good. I worked for a dentist for 4 years as an assistant (b4 I had kids) and he would give an injection and people stated they didn't even feel it. There are also horrible dentists that can make a routine procedure a nightmare. When you go in for your consult, let your dentist know how nervous you are. It really does help the dentist so he can take things a little more slowly with you and make you more comfortable. Nitrous Oxide is also available in most offices as a way to make you a little less aware of what is going on. Have your dentist describe it to you if you are not aware of this. He needs to take an x-ray of your tooth to see how big the cavity is. If the cavity goes very deep, close to the nerve chamber of your tooth(where the tooth's feeling originates) then he may suggest a root canal. A root canal requires the same numbing as a filling would, and just means the nerves will be removed from the tooth with a series of small files. He will clean out the nerve canals, smooth the insides, and fill them with a filler so bacteria can't invade the space. Root canals aren't as scary as everybody thinks they are. There are a few that have had nightmare stories, but most people won't complain about the procedure. If you do need a root canal, your dentist will go over the need for a crown to fit over the top of the tooth to hold it together. You can get a gold crown or a porcelain (tooth colored) crown. Your denstist should discuss all options with you at your consult. He will look in your mouth, but will not perform anything scary to you tomorrow. The worst thing about dentistry is the cost!!! But again, let your dentist know ahead of time how anxious you are so he can take the proper time with you to make you more comfortable. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thanks so much, your post really made me feel better. My boyfriend told me that if I acted scared or worried that I would be offending the dentist, which just made me more anxious.

I am really hoping for a cheaper course of action, seeing as I have no insurance. But the place I'm going to does the consulation for free and 30% off for patients with no insurance! The website was really nice and they've been around for like 20 years-but it's still scary. Hopefully I won't have a rant tomorrow!

What is laughing gas like? Do they still give you the needle injection if you get laughing gas?

Again, thanks everyone for helping me with this! I cannot tell you how difficult of a fear this is for me :kiss:

i love laughing gas!! havent had it in years but it just makes you kinda outta of it, like more chilled out or zoned out. once they remove the gas it goes away pretty quickly and than the whole thing seemed like a dream!
but yes you would still get the needle. when i was young, i had a fabulous dentist and he would give me the gas, then rub the numbing gel on my gums then give me the novacaine needle. you really dont even feel the needle.
but like jenn said just let the dentist know you are really nervous and they will be extra gentle.

I've had root canals and they were absolutely painless. But as previously mentioned, you have to have a compassionate dentist and oral surgeon. I always ask for Nitrious Oxide which takes the edge off.

Also, let me add this. It is much better being a dental patient if you can go to have your teeth cleaned at least once a year, though because of good insurance I am able to go twice a year. Preventative treatment is MUCH easier on any patient than waiting until you have a very decayed tooth. Regular dental cleanings will prevent many cavities and even the cavaties that do form are found very small and are very easy to take care of.

If you need a root canal, truly, they are not bad at all and I am a very fearful patient.

Eroomlorac is exactly right about regular tooth cleanings. The most important reason is that she will remove tartar buildup off your teeth which will cause the gums around the teeth to become inflammed, leading to gingivitis. Gingivitis can lead to bone loss around your teeth. Without supportive bone, your teeth fall out. No reason to get any restorative work done if your teeth will fall out due to lack of supportive bone. Also, a hygienist can spot tooth decay, although not between your teeth (you need xrays for that) and if decay is caught early, the filling will be smaller and cheaper. The larger the decay becomes, the bigger the filling needed. That might lead you to a root canal, or crown or both. Preventative dentistry is always cheaper than waiting for a small problem to become large. Good luck today!

I feel your pain! I had no dental insurance as a kid too. I still don't have dental insurance. I have a reimbursement program, but I'm already way past that now this year :p

I recently got a root canal done on a tooth that already had a crown because I had so many fillings in it it couldn't structurally exist without one.. The original crown JUST cracked and fell out.. the dentist was going to do a "post and core" and build up the tooth structure inside and around the crown so it would last a year and then I could get the new crown on the new reimbursement cycle.. Well, that's probably not going to happen now! I think I now need a new crown immediatly :p I also have receding gums and need a treatment for that. Which was actually why he was waiting on the crown--waiting for my gums to become healthier before he stuck a crown on which would make them recede more.. So..

get regular dental cleanings now if you have the insurance that covers it. the root canal wasn't really painful. It was sensitive and uncomfortable, but not painful. nothing is really that bad anymore. Not like I remember from when I was a kid. Also, if you need novacain, they numb the area before they even stick the needle in--so that's not painful either! it's really amazing now :p

I'm going to be getting regular cleanings. Looking into personal dental insurance. Hoping it's not too late for me!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back