So frustrated

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoromirAlex

Casey
My chin Boromir has been driving me absolutely crazy at night. Recently, he began chewing on the bars of his cage non stop. It's a terrible habit and I have no idea why he has begun to do this. Before I go to sleep, I make sure he has plenty of toys to chew on, Timothy hay and pellets. I am absolutely freezing in my room so I know he can't be uncomfortable. I just don't understand why this is a recent development.

Does anyone have any advice or insight on how to stop him from doing this, or maybe why he started doing it in the first place??

:cry3:

The only way I have to combat this behavior is to give the chins more hay and more toys and things to do. Once a chin learns he can get you to pay attention to him he will try over and over and over again to get you to come running when you think he needs something.

He has learned what gets him attention and what drives you crazy! The only thing you can do is try to not react when he starts chewing and making noise.

Zipper used to do that when we walked by to get attention. I was so scared for him. I started ignoring the biting when I walked by. He didn't chew once when I did and I was so elated that I gave him a rosehip. I did that a few times over the course of a month-rewarding the good behavior. He doesn't chew anymore :)

I kack at my girl when she decides to chew on the bars, which is her way of having a fit when she doesn't get what she wants. She looks at me with her sad eyes afterwards, then goes on to hopping around like nothing.

Have you tried ignoring him then rewarding him when he stops?

Ahh, I see!

Thanks for all the responses.

I definitely was getting up and going to look in his cage when he was biting the bars- I was worried about him getting sick if he chewed on them enough. Last night I ignored him after getting out of bed once... he continued to do it, but not as often as he had when I was getting up. It is just going to take a bit more of him being ignored while doing this for him to stop, I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I would have a couple of toys made that attache to the side of the cage with all kinds of fun things to chew on and see if that helps.

I've had this same problem! My chester is constantly biting his cage and it makes me so annoyed. I've gotten really mad at times because of his constant biting and yanking on the cage. Now that I know to just ignore him, he actually does stop! Thanks for the tip!

Back