Smelly Pee!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsyBitsy

So I know any urine will smell but my two new chins have some very smelly pee!! The one pee'd on himself during the trip home so he's been getting lots of dust baths but I can't help but smell it and when I go by their cage it smells almost fishy!!! What gives!?!?!? They are not enlarged down there, no irritation that I can see, drinking and eating normal. Poos are firm and look about normal maybe a little thinner then usual but they are also young. Is it just because its on him and lingering? Or should I be concerned?

They're probably a little dehydrated from the stress of the trip and going to a new environment. (Concentrated urine smells much more strongly than that of a very well hydrated chinchilla.) Urine smells no matter what and it sounds like it's making your little chin stink a bit. Keep giving dustbaths and that should eventually get the smell off of him.

Last edited:
Really? Would that make it smell fishy though? I mean I have been sprayed and pee'd on and it smells but never fishy! lol Its really quite nasty!!
Um is it ok to put a pinch of baking soda in the dust bath maybe??

Eventually the smell is going to come off of them. Is it possible that the person, who had them previously, kept them in a really dirty cage? (Not saying that this is what it is. Sometimes a dirty environment can cause a chin to stink to high heaven.) I don't know if you should put baking soda in the dust since I have never tried it. I've put corn starch in the dust to help with staining.

Concentrated urine from animals that aren't drinking as much as they should can really smell strong. Over time you may notice that the odor subsides a great deal as they settle in.

I didn't notice them smelling really bad while they were here. But that one boy did pee himself on the way to my place too. Sometimes when there're scared they give off a strange smell (but not fishy).

Given the state they were in when I got them, it wouldn't hurt for them to see a vet sometime soon- if they keep smelling ask the vet to do a urin culture if possible. but give them a few more days to settle in and see if they still smell.

Eventually the smell is going to come off of them. Is it possible that the person, who had them previously, kept them in a really dirty cage? (Not saying that this is what it is. Sometimes a dirty environment can cause a chin to stink to high heaven.) I don't know if you should put baking soda in the dust since I have never tried it. I've put corn starch in the dust to help with staining.

Concentrated urine from animals that aren't drinking as much as they should can really smell strong. Over time you may notice that the odor subsides a great deal as they settle in.

a few days of dusting and he should "clean up" at least he did last week.

They were not very heavey drinkers (boy that sounds odd) when they were here so they may be a bit dehydrated. I did have their water bottle in a spot that I thoought they would like... could just be the stress of all the changes they've had in the past few weeks.

Just wanted to mention that Partygirl was the one who had them and their cage was immaculate there as was her house and her own chins and they looked very well kept and spoiled.
I also saw before pictures when she took them in and their is a huge difference. I understand the smell of a scared chin is going to smell different. I do work with a rescue and have smelled pee and do have experience , Its just never has it smelled fishy :vomit:. I do not really smell it any longer, but the staining is still there a bit. Where do I buy cornstarch?? I'll be honest I have never used it in my life

Just wanted to mention that Partygirl was the one who had them and their cage was immaculate there as was her house and her own chins and they looked very well kept and spoiled.
I also saw before pictures when she took them in and their is a huge difference. I understand the smell of a scared chin is going to smell different. I do work with a rescue and have smelled pee and do have experience , Its just never has it smelled fishy :vomit:. I do not really smell it any longer, but the staining is still there a bit. Where do I buy cornstarch?? I'll be honest I have never used it in my life

Cornstarch can be found in your baking food isle at your local grocery store :)

if you don't get the corn starch they should still clean up well with some dusting. They were so greasy when I got them that they got more than the recommended dusting and that really helpped clean them up (we're a blue sparkle home but as long as it's good dust the brand shouldn't matter).

i'm glad the smell is fading.

Thanks for the emailed updates on them so far - they really are a nice pair (I've got a soft spot for the snuggle boy :) ) I'm so glad they found a caring home. I still can't beleive they were surendered to a PetCo.

what kind of water? Might be having a blond moment but what do you mean? What water is in their bottles now? Before? They get bottled spring water here, don't know what they got before. :confused2:

Back