Small stools after coccidia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyWife

I treated both my male and female for coccidia. They both got albon but I also had to give my female baytril for a week because she was presenting with signs of a URI. Both chins have been doing great and very active but I'm noticing my female has really small stools. It's hard to even tell the difference between hers and the kits stools. I feed them all oxbow pellets (recently switched from mazuri) when the coccidia started. Male gets orchard grass hay, mom and kits get orchard grass and alfalfa. The only treats they get is shredded wheat. It definitely looks like the female is drinking plenty of water.

I checked on her tonight and her poops are almost back to normal! I haven't given her shredded wheat in a few days and stopped providing the kits with JAGS formula that I've seen her eat as well. I gave her a raisin tonight to help with the constipation

Raisins are not a good idea when you already have GI issues. In fact, they can make things words. The sugar can cause bloat. The Jags formula won't hurt her if she eats it.

Raisins are not a good idea when you already have GI issues. In fact, they can make things words. The sugar can cause bloat. The Jags formula won't hurt her if she eats it.

That's good to know, thank you! I never give them raisins but I read about giving a raisin to help constipation. I won't be giving her those again. I've been giving her probiotics on her pellets about every two days to help regulate her GI tract after the coccidia and antibiotics. It looks like her stools are definitely getting back to normal now. I'm just so unsure of what the right thing is to do right now since her poor body is so out of tune. Is it possible that the shredded wheat caused the constipation? I took away the JAGS since the kits were munching away on the hay and pellets and I observed Mom and kits actually fighting over trying to eat the JAGS formula... well more the kits fighting each other.

I would stop the shredded wheat and anything other that pellets, hay and probiotics until she is totally better and has been so for a couple of weeks. Give her system time to settle down. Sometimes it can take a while and yes, the shredded wheat may have been causing the small poos.

I would stop the shredded wheat and anything other that pellets, hay and probiotics until she is totally better and has been so for a couple of weeks. Give her system time to settle down. Sometimes it can take a while and yes, the shredded wheat may have been causing the small poos.

Thank you for the advice! Hopefully we'll have an A+ pooping queen very soon!

Latest posts

Back