Small eye?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinluv13

Hi, I have a female chinchilla named chilli and she is about 1 years old,
Every few months or so sence chilli was younger her left eye gets smaller..lets say.. there is usually no fluid or pus or anything that comes out. It just is a little smaller and squenter than her other eye. We have Two chins so I know that this is not anything cantagious because my other chin has never had any problems. And its only happened in one eye and never has transfered to her other eye.

She seems fine and her eye will stay that way for about a week or so.. And then will open right up.

She seems to be in no pain.. I can pick her up.. touch around her eye. Check her out everywhere eles.
She eats and drinks water and is using the bathroom,
What could this eye thing be?

Thanks

It could be an allergy (dust, bedding), a scratched eye, dental issues...the only way to rule out a couple of those is to bring her to a vet and have the eye thoroughly checked to see if it is scratched or if she could have dental issues which would require x-rays. Has she been maintaining her weight?

Maybe some dust or something bothers it occasionally.

If there is no discharge I wouldn't be too concerned.

You may want to ask to have this moved into the health section as it's not really an emergency. :D

Keep an eye on her, and maybe record when it happens, when you change the cage, get new bedding, food, and hay, to see if you can link an allergy to it.

Since it's never happened to the other eye, I would definitely get her teeth checked out. No discharge is a good thing but I'm actually really surprised that it's only the one eye.

Back