SLR Advice...Which?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macygray

aka. Chinnie Kisses.
We were talking about this and were thinking we are ready/I am ready, lol, to add an SLR digital camera to our family. I currently have a Canon 8.0MP digital camera which is lovely but would like this one for obvious reasons.

What are the pros and cons? Any you like in particular? What do YOU use them for? Any more info we should know? Any shops to go to (to order online as Im in Spain)

Thanks...............x

I'm personally a Nikon fan. I have a D40 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. It's basic, lightweight, easy to bring on short or long trips and it does whatever I need. It's not fancy, and it's about as cheap as you can go with DSLRs most of the time. Nikon has more vivid colors than Canon lenses do, IMO. When I look at pictures, I normally can tell when someone used a Canon, and when someone used a Nikon. If you're comfortable with Canon, stay with Canon. I started out with a Nikon P80 (purchased for concert photos), so I was more comfortable with the D40 when I went to purchase a new camera. A girl I know has a Canon G9 p-n-s and it takes photos just as nice as a SLR would, but its just as expensive as an entry level DSLR.

The main thing with photography these days is using a post-processing program. I've seen such crap pictures turn into amazing photos with them. I don't play around with them because I don't have time, but I read a lot of photography forums and see changes in work. I'd focus on something basic and then work on using programs to tamper with the photos.

B & H photo has great deals, also check out slickdeals. Whatever you do, don't base your purchase on MP. That has nothing to do with the camera quality. Most photographers could care less about MP. Focus on the body, then pick the lenses. You want to read reviews to see the pros and cons.

Last edited:
I have a Sony A350 and I love it. I use it mostly to take pictures of my family. It takes amazing pictures. I've heard good things about the Nikon D40, too. I ordered my Sony online from Abe's of Maine. They have really good prices. They do try to upsale stuff to you, but you can say no.

I'm also a Nikon fan, haven't bought a dslr yet, but have a Nikon slr. Some day I'll have money for a dslr. And if I had a choice, I'd go with a Nikon.

I have an Olympus e300 but if I had to buy another, it would be a Nikon D90. With the live view tha the ability to shoot video, that's awsome. Plus they have SD card: Olympus and some Canon have Compact Flash, rare and expensive. My dad owns a Nikon and he loves it (altought I love my Olympus too, but it's not the best, I got it because I had it for 300$)

I used to use my dad's Nikon D40, before I got my Canon Rebel. They're both great, but the Canon is much lighter and easier to handle, in my opinion. They're also relatively cheap (D40 is cheaper now I believe) and great for those who photograph as a hobby. I couldn't really tell you which I prefer, as I'm bad with the technical stuff. I enjoy them both!
My decision was based on the fact that the Canon had a sale and came with a 300 mm lens! Also, my compact is a Canon so I can use the same memory card and cables which is convenient.

I've heard good things about the Canon Rebel XSi!! Also about the Nikon D90....Out in 2008, one of the first which can record video - Does that make it a DSLR or what IS a DSLR?

*Of to read more*

Could those of you who posted of posters who post after this if you have any images taken by your SLR digital camera could you show me? I'd love to see!

Im sooo new to all of this and just dont know what I even need one of these for in particular - Action shots and shots in the distance I suppose.

I have an older Nikon SLR and it has been an excellent camera. When I wanted a digitial camera for snapshots of my granddaughter, I went with the Canon A620. While I was researching digital cameras and looking at customer reviews and tested Consumer Guide reviews it seemed to me Canon was the way to go for a great camera, good pictures, user friendly and nicely priced if you were looking for a point and shoot camera. When I looked at DSLR's, which is what I really wanted but couldn't afford, Nikon seemed to get better reviews all around.

Canon is my favorite and from handling every Nikon, Canon, and Sony model that came out in 2008, I have to say they are of superior quality.

I will vouch for the D40 being a good camera for the price, but be aware it doesn't have live view (unless this comes on newer versions? I don't believe so) If you can afford it - The Canon XSi is great! If you want Nikon and again, can afford it, the D90 is pretty sweet with the movie mode.

Right now the 2 that stand out to me are the Nikon D90 (Wouldn't really use their video as much I cant imagine?) and the Canon XSi.

AND I believe buying it from an american site is the way to go....About double the price when I want to pay in British pounds.

So what SLR do you have, what do you mainly use it for (action shots or still or whatever) and....If you have any samples of what you can do with it?

The D90 has a live view which seems to be great...The older models don't have that and apparently it comes in very handy.

Macy, you'll probably find (like I did!) that there are two main "camps" when it comes to DSLRs - there are Canon lovers and then there are Nikon lovers.
To be honest, your best bet is to go to a camera shop and ask to try the cameras you are interested in - unless people upload photos at full resolution you will not get the "full" benefit of the photos so judging from photos posted on websites can be tricky. It also depends on how much "fiddling" has been done using image software.
Things to bear in mind are how good the lens is (you're better off spending extra on a decent lens than buying an expensive camera body with a poor quality lens), how the camera feels in your hands (weight, size etc), what you intend to do with it (portraits, live action, scenery etc), the features including how much can be done manually, image stabilisation etc, and how much you want to spend. Make sure any camera you buy has the ability to shoot in RAW - you may not need it straight away but it will come in handy further down the road perhaps.

Reviews are great but it is worth bearing in mind that they are often subjective to an extent - the only way to really find out what you like personally is to play with the cameras and decide yourself. :)

Don't let anyone persuade you to buy something just because they like it - you can spend a lot of money on a camera you do not like or get on with - take your time and do plenty of research.
Good luck! :crossfingers:

Last edited:
I'm a Canon girl. I've got the Rebel XT, and I've also got a Canon SLR. I'd reccommend Canon to anyone.

I have a Canon Rebel XT, 350D. I've had it for about 4 years, I think. I love it and it takes great photos. I've even printed some of my photos to 30" x 20" for posters in a booth and they were just as crisp and clear printed as they were in their smaller versions.

I agree with Claire on the division of the two camps. One deciding factor may be that Canon tends to be a bit less expensive than Nikon. So you can get more camera and lenses for less money.

The D90 has a live view which seems to be great...The older models don't have that and apparently it comes in very handy.
Yes it is, I have been in numerous situation when I said myself... I wish I'd have a live view. I have a ceap compact Canon (on top of my dslr) and I love the live view feature that all compact have. Nowdays, I wouldn't buy a camera tat doesn't have at least that.

Latest posts

Back