slightly smelly chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluke

I know this is probably a silly thing to post about, but lately I've noticed that my boys smell kind of funky. I've never noticed it before. They smell a little like a dirty cage, the kind of urine smell ya know. I keep their cages clean. They get dust baths daily. I just started using fleece liners, but I think I noticed the smell beforehand. It really isn't that important, but does anyone have any ideas on how to you know, improve their smell. The reason I even think about it is I could swear they've never smelled this way before.

Dust baths every day and they still are a bit stinky? I'm all out of ideas then! :) Anything you put in the dust that would cover over the smell won't get rid of it and putting any fragrances on them isn't food for them.

Could you wash the liners more often? I can't think of anything else! Sorry...

well i have two sets of liners that i change out. I've always cleaned their cages once a week and spot clean during the week, but I'm going to try switching the liners twice a week. baking soda huh? hmmm...might try that.

yeah not a whole lot of it though. If i remember correctly it was about a teaspoon to every cup of dust. Good Luck!

With liners you need to switch them a lot more often- I do mine every two days, then once a week I scrub the cages and pans down with a water/vinegar mixture.

I would have to go with liners being the cause. I did not like the smell so switched off them and went back to shavings.

yea, I mean I guess thats really the only thing that makes sense. I didn't realize I'd have that issue with liners. I've used carefresh for 3 years, but I thought I give the liners a try because well, less expensive, less waste, etc. But if changing em more often doesn't make my Buckie smell normal again, I might go back to bedding.

I just put a little bit of baking soda in the dust, not much though.

Latest posts

Back