Slicker brush on a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonyoHAM

I was wondering of using a slicker brush like the one used for cats and dogs is okay for a chin? Will it hurt them? And if not will it do a better job than a chin comb?

slicker brushes often have sharp ends on the tines, and i would be very worried that you could hurt a chin's skin with them. slicker brushes are also used to remove a lot of hair, so i would not use it on a chin at all for this reason.

chins don't need brushed/combed unless they are going to be in a show. no need when you just have pet chins.

When my boy Inca was shedding like crazy, I gently ran a slicker brush over him to get the loose hairs. Then I tried a lint roller and it worked much better!

i took a tail comb at meimei...he had a knot.. he's not a fan but one quick swipe and it came right out and he didn't notice a thing

Nothing does a better job than a chin comb, they are designed to separate the hairs and create volume.

If you're just interested in hair removal a sticky lint roller works best or you can also use a hacksaw blade. I have a video of them being used here.

If it's a knot you can pull it out with your fingers.

You probably could use a slicker brush, I've never tried. They're too loosely spaced to do much good.

slicker brushes often have sharp ends on the tines, and i would be very worried that you could hurt a chin's skin with them.
Chinchilla combs are made with needles. :)) Yea, it hurts when you stab yourself with them.

Chinchilla combs are made with needles. Yea, it hurts when you stab yourself with them.

Especially when you get one right under the fingernail..

Nothing is like a chinchilla comb. For rough or at home grooming you can use a greyhound comb, I've been told the teflon coated ones work the best.

And pet chins should/can be combed too. It helps remove the dead fur letting the dust get in keeping them cleaner and happier.

Are the dog combs just about the same as the chinchilla ones?
No. The closest commercial thing to a chinchilla comb is a flea comb, but those don't work real well. You can try any combs you like, you'll find what works and what doesn't pretty quick.

I know there's different sizes... What size would u recommend if my chins furs are generally in good shape but it's lightly patchy in the back?

Latest posts

Back