Sleeping odd (should I worry?)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpayne1217

Chin/Hedgie Lover
Maddie seems perfectly healthy. She eats a lot and poops alot. She runs around (and makes a ton of noise at night). She is great at playtime when I let her run around.

The problem is the way she sleeps sometimes. She sleeps on her side, kinda like a dog when its too hot (but I have the A/C set at 64). She looks like she's sick when she's like this. But when she wakes up she's all bouncy as normal and acts completly fine. Is this normal? It just looks so wierd. My boyfriend saw it too and asked if she was okay because it looked so odd.

They say that chins will only sleep on their sides if they feel safe in their surroundings, so that's a good thing!!!

Baby used to run himself silly on the wheel and then flop completely down on his side and immediately fall asleep for a bit to rest up.

Oh Trixie is another side sleeper. She likes to spread out in her wheel for a snooze. Sometimes after I have her out for playtime, she will hop up onto her top shelf and stretch out for a nap.
I can understand, though, as the first time I saw her sleeping on her side I got a bit worried, myself.

Yea, it's totally normal. For some reason, that sleeping position was one of the first bits of info I found about chins on the internet so I was literally waiting for my chin to plop over on her side since the day I got her. Took her a week or two but now she sleeps like that often. Not quite as much as in her fluff-ball or sitting up form but it's a common sight. But I can imagine not knowing, I would worry also.

Out of the 7 chins I have here right now, 5 are side sleepers. I think they look super cute like that...with their legs all sprawled out.

Glad to hear it means they feel safe. :)

The first time I saw Tinkerbell lying on her side, I thought she was dead! It scared me so bad and I was afraid to walk up close to her cage. Of course she was fine, and she has slept on her side since then, but it really is unnerving when you see it for the first time. I didn't know, though, that it meant they felt safe in their surroundings...that is great to know!

Mine do too and sometimes I go watch just to make sure they are breathing! It looks so scary! The first time I saw it, I ran to the cage and shook it and yelled his name...we both about had a heart attack! I love when Simon has his front paws sticking out of his tube like 3 inches, and his nose just barely showing! That's my favorite:)

Kiwi likes to sleep on her side on the top level mid morning. She really sleeps too, we can walk right up to the cage and she doesn't budge.

a few of mine do this, one especially after playtime. he dramatically lays on his shelf as if the 20 minutes out exhausted him!

it seems a few of mine have done this more as they were more used to living at my home. when they first came here they hid in their tube or house and now lots of them lay sprawled out. i guess safe & comfy. ;)

Yep sounds completely normal to me. I used to have a mom that slept on her back when she was pregnant. It freaked me out all the time, and eventually I just got used to it. One of her grand daughters now takes after her, but it's only side sleeping right now.

its normal. im sure when i get my chinchilla it will freak me out too. even though i now know its normal it will probly take some getting used to.

One of my chins likes to sleep with his head hanging off the ledge... he looks dead sometimes to. My pink and white I've caught sleeping almost on her back, but anytime I try to get a picture she wakes up.
The rest of my animals sleep in weird positions... why not the chins too lol
1c628b21.jpg

I have this as well. dont worry too much. I often check if they are breathing when they do it haha

Some of mine sleep like this too. Always scares me and makes me think they're dead... gotta watch for breathing before I poke them though.

Attachments

• sleeping.JPG
    sleeping.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back