Sleeping during the day?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosario

So I've noticed that my chin seems to be awake during the day and I'm wondering if I should be concerned?
I also keep her in a closed, dark hallway. I know that sounds weird but I guess the best way to describe it would be to say it's room without windows. Can the fact she's in the dark most of the time, except when I play with her at night, be the reason for this? :/
PS: She's really active at around 9 pm.. idk if that helps.

Chins don't crawl away and sleep all day like many other "nocturnal" animals. Although they are more active as night, I wouldn't personally call domestic chins nocturnal, they wake often during the day to eat or play and that's normal. They just tend to be more awake in the evening & early nighttime.

Proper lighting DOES play an important part in any animals sleep schedule as it helps to regulate our circadian rhythm. Being in a dark area all of the time isn't healthy for any animal really. I would put a lamp with a timer on it and a "daylight bulb" or something similar if you're unable to give her natural light exposure. Light scheduling is used very often with breeders because it can affect everything from health to breeding, some even say it can help predict the sex of babies born.

As Riven says, most chins will potter about a bit during the day - getting up for a nibble of food, a drink, a general mooch around to see what's going on - then go back to sleep in their favourite spot.

You can affect a chin's sleep pattern just by being around - some of my chins are very nosy and expect attention or a treat when I walk into the room. So they often seem more awake than some of the others.
Once they get used to your being there (or not) then they tend to settle into a more defined sleep pattern.

Lighting is a factor, but as Claire says, routine is important for chinchillas. With mine, a typical day begins with them up and waiting for a breakfast treat and playing around while I get ready for work, then they nap all day and late in the evening theyre up and we play. Even on the weekends when I dont leave, they still follow this schedule and are up in the morning and hiding during the day. They dont necessarily need to sleep all day, but whatever cycle you establish they'll adjust to.

My lil' fuzzball has natural lighting since he's in a room with a big glass door on one wall (although I keep the blinds half closed on the side where his cage is to keep him out of direct sunlight, mainly for reasons involving temperature). He snoozes a bit during the day, but as soon as I come down to see him, POP! He's up right away and alert, and comes to say hello and see if maybe I've got something tasty for him or feel inclined to scratch the sides of his face. From what I've read, chins aren't strictly nocturnal, so not being out cold all day shouldn't be a big deal...

Latest posts

Back