skinny chin not very active...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with everyone, the chin should probably see a vet just in case. I don't often recommend that...but in this case it sounds as if the chinchilla is under the weather to begin with. That said, definitely get a gram scale to start keeping track of weight as it is often the first indicator of real problems.

Something not mentioned that I personally would do is to separate the two chinchillas that way you can better evaluate the one. You need to know if he's taking in proper nutrition as well as if he's eliminating properly. This will help greatly if he's sick.

Best of luck and looking forward to an update!

well im in college to answer crittermom's question. my aunt confirmed that they are both females and has gave me some acidophilous (sp?) to put in their water. there are no more secretions, and there is no swelling around her genitals either. she has become more active and even came out on my arm today!

Acidphilous int he water can make it taste funny and make them drink less. I recommend just sprinkling the powder on their pellets.

I would make a vet apt. as soon as possible. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Jean

I agree with the above poster. Even though the discharge has stopped doesn't mean the chinnie might not have pyometra. A vet check is in order to be sure the chin is healthy. Especially if it is thin. That is an indication that something might be wrong, too.

I think its also a good idea to see the vet anyway for an initial check up. It gets you introduced to the vet and you can get your own feelings if you feel they are capable of providing care for your little ones.

You really don't want to be scrambling in an emergency wondering who to call. When you get their initial exams you can just mention the conditions and get a professional opinion on them. Calling a friend of a friend on the phone without an in person consult is not acceptable in my opinion. Depending where you go the appointment shouldn't be more than $100 and will give you peace of mind and a good baseline of your chin's health. I highly recommend it! :thumbsup:

Was it a lot of drainage or just slight moisture? I have some females that I have seen with slight moisture when in heat. The first time a freaked out and rushed to the vet thinking it was infection.

It was not enough to be seen on shelving, but just noticable when doing routine weekly examinations when I do hair ring checks, etc.

Last edited:
just a little wetness, its completely dry now. i dont know if i had mentioned this or not but tey previous owner had taken both girls to the vet about 2 weeks ago, before i got them, and said everything was fine and that they were "the picture of health".

Hmm, well if they were checked out and everything was said to be ok, just watch for it again and if it does get them to a vet so the vet can see exactly what it is before it dries/goes away. It might have just been damp somehow, who knows.

I still recommend the vet check for yourself. If nothing else it gets you to feel comfortable with the vet and gives you a phone number in case of emergency. It's better if the vet clinic knows who you are and who your pet is before you come running in there so they can avoid all the initial questions. My initial check up for Pachuco was $47 and gave me a point of contact for his recent accident.

I don't know what I would have done in the heat of the moment and not having a vet phone number on my fridge. As far as I know of there are two exotic vets in Denver, and only one exotic ER. I would have hated to made that scramble going on nothing but google searches while my chinchilla is in pain. Trust me, find the vet now and get acquainted with them. You will thank yourself later should anything come up.

Okay - I'm really confused. 2 weeks ago, your friend took the chins to the vet and both were "the picture of health" and now you've posted about a "skinny chin" who apparently had the 24-hr drainage bug ( :Sarcasmd: ) and is now absolutely a-ok. Something's amiss here but I'm not totally sure what.

Okay - I'm really confused. 2 weeks ago, your friend took the chins to the vet and both were "the picture of health" and now you've posted about a "skinny chin" who apparently had the 24-hr drainage bug ( :Sarcasmd: ) and is now absolutely a-ok. Something's amiss here but I'm not totally sure what.

I agree completely. Also, the chin is skinny yet has the same access to pellets and hay as the other chin, who is active and of good weight? Something seems strange. Either way, if this chin is skinny, yet has had access to food and hay, I would bring it to the vet anyway. Just because the chin is no longer "leaking" doesn't mean it is healthy in any way.

On the optimistic side, and not knowing all the posters history, it could very easily be that as a new and concerned chin owner...she over reacted to something that is not serious. If you have a chunky chin and one that is smaller it may seem thin/skinny...and a bit of dampness which could've been any number of things or nothing at all...may've caused concern in a new owner.

That all said, never take a previous owners word on care received...call me paranoid but it's not wise IMHO. AND, even if you choose not to take her to a vet now...get in touch so that in the future if you DO have a problem you (like mentioned) won't be scrambling!

well i took her to my aunts work (i mentioned before shes a small animal vet and she does treat chins) and she ended up having the starts of a UTI. now she is on 0.1ml baytril. she seems happier too!

Even though that is a really small dosage of Baytril I would be prepared to hand-feed with Critical Care since I am sure your Aunt told you that Baytril can cause a loss of appetite and your chinchilla is already skinny. You can get the Critical Care from your Aunt.

It is also recommended that with oral batril, that you follow it with a "chaser" of something good tasting--like a little bit of shredded wheat--to get the nasty taste of the medicine out of their mouths. It may help keep her willing to eat on her own, because chins frequently stop eating when given oral baytril.

Latest posts

Back