Size of door required to fit chin spin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_soda025

My cage has a 12" x 14" door. Would it be able to fit a chin spin through it somehow? I'm thinking it's an inch or so off, since the diameter of the chin spin is 15"... Just want to confirm though.

If you angle it going through the door it should go in no problem. Do you have a way of taking the cage off the base, or going through the top in case you can't get it through the door?

Nope, the door is the only way in the cage. That's why I'm worried that it may just be a tiny bit off and not fit. Now that would be frustrating! If it helps to know, the flying saucer fits in the door.. but I think the diameter of the chin spin is larger.

You can sometimes find an Ed wheel for sale. It's only 15 inches instead of 16, so angling that you should be able to get it through the door no problem. You can always buy the chin spin and if it doesn't fit sell it on here. Also, you may want to call quality cages and ask them about the door size. They are very helpful and should be able to tell you for sure.

Yes...you could always sell it quickly if it is too big BUT I see that you are in Canada and I know the shipping charges to the USA are quite extreme so just consider that also.

Why not a Flying Saucer?

A chinspin is 15", the Ed's wheel is 14".

15" usually will not fit through 14". And in your case, it won't.

@macygray, I actually do have a flying saucer in there right now, but they are scared of it and never even touch it, so I was thinking of selling that and getting a chin spin instead.. However, like you said, the shipping to Canada is quite expensive and I will probably have to pay customs (blech!). So I bet that would come out to about the same price as the flying saucer.
The cage pan is also kinda deep, so it's hard to have the flying saucer sit lower than ~3.5", which I think looks a tad high, especially when they're scared of it. I think they are mostly scared of how fast it moves when they are on it. They'll immediately try to jump onto one of the ledges nearby.

I measured the diagonal of the door and it is 18" so I MAY be able to fit a chin spin through it. How wide is the chin spin (not the diameter)? That would give me enough info to figure out whether it would fit. I have a feeling it won't though, since they're kinda wide.

About the Ed wheel, how noisy are those?

Last edited:
I measured the diagonal of the door and it is 18" so I MAY be able to fit a chin spin through it. How wide is the chin spin (not the diameter)? That would give me enough info to figure out whether it would fit. I have a feeling it won't though, since they're kinda wide.

The chin spin is 8" wide but if you want to know for sure if it's going to fit call them. Their contact info is on their website www.qualitycage.com

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it won't fit the cage.. It is too wide, so angling it wouldn't help (I tried this out with a similar sized item). No chin spin for me.. I don't want to order the Ed wheel either, because it costs $35 for shipping X_x and with that, plus customs, it'll be well over $100. I guess I'm stuck with the flying saucer, Lol.

Latest posts

Back