Single Owned Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

Hi Everyone! Just wondering how many of you out there have single owned chinchillas? And are they happy just being alone??? I have one little boy named Gizmo. Hes my world! How do you know if they are happy alone?

I'm not sure they are jumping up and down happy to be alone, but some chins just can't do roomies. I always try and have 2 or more chins in a cage, but there are those chins who just don't mesh well. They end up living as singles, because they attack everything you try and put them with.

If you spend lots of time with Gizmo, give him lots of stimulation, then he's probably fine on his own.

Puddles is an only chin. She always was with her sister chubbs until chubbs passed away. :( But I really did not notice any change in her behavior at all after that. I give her lots of attention, playtime, and lots of toys/chews to keep her busy. I like to think she's a happy camper chin. :)

Buddy is an only chin. He seems to be happy alone. I don't know if he would get along well with other chins but when I have had him at my parents house he seems very interested in the cat. I spend a lot of time with him and every so often I leave some music on because I hope it helps him feel less lonely at night.

All my chins have same sex mates with them except one pair.. I tried separating them and the male got so depressed.. So I put them back together... I have had them for almost a year now and they are happy as can be together.. So together they will stay..

Both my chins are singles. But they live next door to each other and they are housed in the living room, so they get lots of attention and interaction.

I have a female Nile who is single now. She was in breeding but doesn't get along with any one for very long so she is happily living on her own right now and May just end up going to a single chinchilla pet home. I have rehomed a few others who just prefered being alone

Hi Tara, you mentioned you interact with Gizmo a lot during the day and he sounds happy with all of your attention. You can also try giving him a cuddle buddy, a fleece stuffed animal/object, for when you are not around. There are a few members on this forum who make and sell them at very reasonable prices, just take a look at the classifieds section.

Also try keeping soft music on if you don't already . I just put a tv in my chins room after being worried about him being alone. Thought it may distract him and keep him interested after reading on here how many chins seems to enjoy this . Chins don't live alone in the wild though so i felt like mine needed a friend. I got another chin but introducing them is turning out to be stressful. I hope if they dont ever live together, at least having another chin nearby will provide him with some companionship.

omg! i have a Gizmo! lol

and yes, hes a single chin. he seems very happy. every morning i give scritches and pet him a bit and talk to him. whenever im through with class, i go home and let him run around for like 30 min. then later on at night, i give him another playtime. it was easier to give more attention in the summer but so far he's been ok with his amount of play time. i want o eventually get another chin so he can have a friend, but that may not happen until i graduate (may hopefully).

i have yet to get him a cuddle buddy, but im definitely thinking of it as well.

Intros didn't go well at all for our two boys, so they'll likely be singletons for life... they actually woke me up for the first time this morning with a little spaz/kack fest :wacko: They do seem to be pretty happy though - each has a cuddle buddy, a wheel/saucer, and lots of chew toys, and we give them lots of attention, if not actual playtime, everyday.

Some like having a buddy. I know Petra would be happy if all other chinchillas were wiped from the planet. She loves my attention and loves people in general. But if Pia or Nyx are on their high ledge and she can see out of her part of the fn into theirs she will try to attack them. She barks at them when they get to singing or playing loudly. She tore her fleece cuddle buddy I made in the shape a chinchilla to bits. So she is perfectly happy to be all alone.

Just another take in it.

Ruby is an only chin and she seems pretty happy. I am sure she would be very happy for a friend (as she lived with them before) But as for now the parents are only allowing one.

Latest posts

Back