Signs of a back yard breeder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I have a feeling my mom's new chin may have come from a back yard breeder. The ad on craigslist said the kit my mom got was available for $120, but this past weekend only. The ad said he needed to go ASAP. The owner had moved into a new apartment that did not allow pets. We met the seller at their parent's house. They had A ferret nation cage split in half. They had two litters of kits. A mother and her two kits on the top, and a mother, father, and two kits on the bottom. I'm guessing the female on the bottom was probably pregnant again. The cage was covered in hardware cloth.

The cages were spotless, and the chins seemed to be very well taken care of. The cages had no toys, shelves, or hay. One cage did have a hut in it. My mom's kit, Jett, didn't seem to know what wood chews, or hay was. I wonder if he had ever had it before?

I had seen previous post from this person " rehoming" their kits for $175. They had a pink-white, two ebony and a beige. I believe the parents of the kits were all from breeders. I saw a recent post (within the past day or two) asking for an offer for the remaining kit. They said unreasonable offers would be ignored.

We talked about my girl, Mira, and her kits. I mentioned adopting both kits out for $80. They thought I meant $80 each. I couldn't imagine adopting out two kits for much more than that. I'm not a breeder, and the kits had an unknown background.

Does getting a chin from a breeder make them breeding worthy by some people's standards?

Some people don't care what they breed, pet store chin or whatever, just put any male and female together and instant money for them. Doesn't really work that way if you take care of them.

Signs of a backyard breeder...I'd say allowing breedbacks, breeding animals with an unknown background, providing improper or inadequate care (either on purpose or from a lack of research/knowledge), charging really high prices without considering the quality of the home the animal will be going to and/or cheaping out on proper vet care/health testing. That goes for all animals including chins. Unfortunately, my three pretty much came from a "hobby breeder" who I now consider a BYB after I found out she wanted to breed chins of an unknown background. All you can do is provide the best for your fur-kids and try to avoid the bad seeds of the breeding world.

If you are not comfortable with the setup the person has or are suspicious for any reason, don't buy the chinchilla. Don't try to "rescue it" - it just keeps them breeding and causes you heartache and financial woes in the end. If you don't buy from them and flag the craigslist ads they eventually get frustrated about not making money and quit breeding.

Signs of a backyard breeder...I'd say allowing breedbacks, breeding animals with an unknown background, providing improper or inadequate care
By today's pet standards of chinchilla keeping every breeder falls into these categories. Some of these guys have fancier living conditions than I do. :p

I would describe a backyard breeder as someone that doesn't care about their chinchillas. Breeding to try to make profit, and not getting them vet checked if needed. I wouldn't describe someone that breeds a petstore chinchilla a backyard breeder, just not knowledgeable about the dangers of breeding chinchillas without backgrounds. If they are kept in clean conditions like you described and possibly from breeders, if I was looking for a pet chinchilla I would probably buy from them.

You are describing a BYB as a private owner - overbreeding, not caring for their needs and virturely setting a time bomb on the poor female having litter after litter until her poor body breaks. This kind of person is only seeing dollar signs if they continually have them listed for sale. By the colors he has, he just may have gotten them from a breeder too and with or without the ped. I often wish there was a way to stop these people from doing this.....but good luck.

On the other hand - A TRUE BYB in my eyes are the ones that have the attitude of "we breed pet chins - not fancy or show chins". Sometime they do rescue too or collect chinnies from everywhere that are free or super low cost and take them home and breed them. They are glorified collectors and don't seem to care. Some go as far as making cages, toys etc for sale but you won't find those items in their breeding cages. These kind are true to only making a profit.They will not join any of our clubs, won't spend a nichol to go to a seminar or show. It is unfortunate that they exist in all of our cities and there isn't much that can be done.

*sticks devil's advocate hat on ........*

A TRUE BYB in my eyes are the ones that have the attitude of "we breed pet chins - not fancy or show chins". .......................They will not join any of our clubs, won't spend a nichol to go to a seminar or show.

So are you suggesting that anyone who breeds chins but does not show is a BYB?

If someone buys pedigree (or has what would be on the table) show quality chins and breeds them then surely they are not BYBs, are they?

Oh no!! Not all that don't show chinnies are any kind of BYB!!! I'm not suggesting that at all!! I have seen many breeders that are concerned for their animals and treat them with respect and make sure that they have everything they need!! You don't have to show to still be a responsible chinnie parent!! That just happens to be the way I went - Joining both clubs, becoming active in showing and seminars. I was all about learn - learn - learn!!

BYB usually only have the bare basics at best, walk in their overcrowded place and you'll probably find some sick ones here and there. Also in general you'll see very unhappy chinnies - not coming to the door - not happy to see you - unwilling to be held or running away at every chance.

My definition of a backyard breeder is someone who indescriminately just throws any ol male and female to make as many babies as they can.

Ususally you can spot a BYB a mile away simply by their knowledge of chins, the quality of the animals they breed and also by the conditions they keep their animals in (and themselves for that matter). My definition of a good breeder is one who is "into" their animals and does everything that they can to learn and grow as a breeder. When I say "grow" I am not necessarily talking in terms of number of animals either. If someone is actively involved with their chins, is genuinely concerned with the welfare and betterment of the species then hey great!

Unfortunately, my three pretty much came from a "hobby breeder" who I now consider a BYB after I found out she wanted to breed chins of an unknown background.

Now Andrea I have seen photo's of your girls and I have seen & read many of your posts in various threads and I just want to say that your chins are beautiful and I can tell that you really love them so I have to ask are you sure that you want to label their breeder a "BYB" just because they may have wanted to or may even have bred an unpedigreed chin..? If so that makes me sad because for the most part it seems at least just from what I have seen in the forum that you couldn't be happier with them. Your statement makes me think of my friendship with a great lady I met out near Harrisburg who I got my collie from. If she bred chins instead of dogs and for whatever reason one day decided to breed a chin without a pedigree I would think it was the silliest thing in the world to then label her a BYB and loose a friend because of her decision to breed an unpedigreed animal that had nothing to do with me JMPO.

To me a BYB is someone who doesn't take the time to educate themselves on genetics, quality etc. Someone who doesn't participate at any shows, even to just observe. Someone who is breeding "pets" with no goal in mind. Often times they say they only want to produce "pets" so they don't need "quality" animals or to attend shows. In the end they are looking to make money off their animals, not in it to produce a better animal/help out new breeders/pet owners. Typically they have prices a lot higher than that of a quality breeder who is actively showing/observing shows etc.

They can have the best taken care of pets, with the largest cages and the most toys--and still be a BYB.

I don't think its "black or white" either. You can breed an animal with a missing pedigree (misplaced, chewed etc) and still not be a BYB. You can breed and charge a higher price for a quality animal and not be a BYB...There is that grey area, too.

I read more and can see various points. It's not a simple topic and you will find most breeders don't want to be told they are BYB-ing or open to discussing their practices. This goes for all "types" of those who end up selling babies.
I always tell people to trust their instincts. You should feel comfortable buying from your breeder, not like you are uncertain of the truth or like you are getting them out of a questionable situation.
And yes, some people believe anything from a breeder can/should be bred. But it takes time to learn to judge quality. You need an eye for it. And you have to want to educate yourself/they have to want to learn.
Hope that makes sense.

I tend to feel people breeding for personality not quality..The I am just breeding for pets or I am just breeding and giving the babies to firends as BYB

Quality doesn't just mean show quality it is a level of health as well

I just don't agree with breeding animals with unknown backgrounds. It's one thing to breed an animal with a missing pedigree whose background you know, but to breed a random animal? Not to mention her sister was a fur-chewer. Yes, chins can be great looking no matter their background but health is also a factor. I think this thread is kind of a "personal opinion" thread and when it comes down to it what matters is that each person acquires their chin(s) in the way that they feel is best. I am extremely happy with my chins but I am going with breeders who show, are involved with clubs and breed chins with known backgrounds and breed for a PURPOSE...not just breeding to make as many different mutations as possible to sell at high prices. Of course, many people would think that's fine so that's why I am stating it is an individual thing...

Back