Sick chinny :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddlycuddles

chinchilla freak
I have not posted in this section for a while (thankfully), but our Little Scarface got sick this week. First we noticed that he started chewing his sides- when we first adopted him from the animal services this summer, he was a chewer and stopped doing it at our home.
On Tuesday he started again-within two days he had chewed both his sides pretty bad. I was at a loss as to what may have caused it- nothing in his environment had changed... On Thursday, as I was getting ready to go to a class, my husband called me to the chinchilla room, because Little Scarface was making funny squeaky noises. When I got there, the chinchilla was indeed making unusual squeaky noise, along with a really strange lack of movement of the hind legs- he was pressing them into the cage floor and looked almost paralysed? This strange lack of movement only lasted a minute or so, then he hopped away.
Needless to say, we both freaked out and called a vet right away- it was not our usual vet, but an exotic vet who works at the same clinic. She examined him and concluded no paralysis (we already knew that because he was hopping around her office). She gave him some painkillers (torbugesic solution) and sub-q fluids and kept him for the afternoon to collect urine (suspecting UTI, because he was straining and squeaking), which was then sent to the lab.
When we went to pick him up, the vet said there was some blood when she expressed his bladder, but suspected it may have been her technique that caused it? At this point we were sent home to wait for the results. They gave us some of the same painkillers to administer orally 3X a day and some Critical Care to feed him if the need be. Today we finally heard back from the vet's office- other than the blood in the urine, nothing else had been found (no signs of infection).
I spoke to the other vet today who suggested we bring him back this afternoon for some more fluids (he almost stopped drinking, eats very little, so I have to force-feed him CC). She also wants to take some X-rays and check for possible stones.
Needless to say, we are very worried for the little guy- he already had a pretty rough start in his life before we got him.
He is constipated- his poo is way too small and he won't drink :(
He eats some hay on his own and even took a few oats from my hand yesterday. But the poo keeps getting smaller and dryer. We even thought that he may have gotten a gut problem because he chewed himself so extensively and because of the strange stretching on Thursday- but the vet who saw him assured us she could not feel any gas in his tummy (he does not look particularly bloated to the naked eye, so I can't really make the case there).
The good news is that he is not completely lethargic- he runs on his wheel quite a bit and even comes to the front of the cage for his scratches. He strains (to urinate?) and looks absolutely miserable when doing it. He absolutely HATES being picked up, but will not take the meds or the CC on his own, so I feel awful for forcing him.
Right now, we're going to see the other vet in an hour- keep your fingers crossed for the little fellow please- he needs it.

Thanks for the good thoughts Laurie!

We went back to the vet today and they did the X-rays there, confirming that Little Scarface has a stone in his bladder- too big to pass it on his own. So the poor chinny will have to be operated on Tuesday (tomorrow is a holiday here, so they are waiting to have the full staff in). The vet also took some blood from him today, to check if anything else may be amiss (hopefully not).
She gave us some stronger painkillers and more sub-q fluids at my request (he has not drank in almost two days). Here is hoping my chinny is strong for the surgery in two days :( :( :(

Poor little guy. I went through this at Christmas time. I found Duffus on the bottom of the cage Christmas Eve apparently in pain and straining. We spent Christmas Day in the ER getting X-rays and passing a catheter. He had 3 stones, two big ones and a smaller one. They had to keep him for a couple of days before they could do the surgery and watch his urine out put. He came through the ordeal great. He was back to himself after just a few days of hand feeding and pain meds. He is all healed now and we have adjusted his diet to reduce the amount of calcium he gets.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope yours does as well as Duffus did.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts! Hope all goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Thank you both very much for your kind words- I am besides myself worrying.
Obcesd, what kind of diet change did you implement for Duffus? I am glad to hear he fully recovered!

sanja, i will be keeping little scarface in my thoughts and prayers. hoping for a great surgery and speedy recovery!

give him lots of TLC and some scritches for me! keep us updated. and as for yourself...take a hot bath and get some rest!

~sends healing vibes~

Obcesd, what kind of diet change did you implement for Duffus? I am glad to hear he fully recovered!

I have limited his Oxbow pellets to 1Tbs daily. I had looked at using Timothy based pellets but found they contained just as much calcium. He no longer gets to help his dad eat Alfalfa hay but he gets extra big helpings of rolled oats because there is evidence that grains inhibit calcium uptake or metabolism. His vet got him some potassium citrate that he gets twice a day. Recent studies show it is effective in preventing stone formation in guinea pigs so we thought we would give it a shot. Finally, there will never be another TUMS in my house. His dad was being supplemented with them for malo and the coincidence of their availability and the formation of the stones is just too strong.

Oxbow guinea pig pellets are timothy based and lower in calcium than chinchilla pellets and I know of a few forum chinchillas that had stones and the vets recommended them.

I just heard back from the vet- the surgery went well and we're to pick him up this afternoon.
I was a bit puzzled that the vet told me no antibiotics would be given to him (I thought it was a standard procedure)? Any experiences with the post-op treatments?
We will get the painkillers though.
Thanks!

great news sanja! i hope he recovers quickly and starts feeling better!!

ive never dealt with surgeries but if i were you, i would just ask about anti-biotics, perhaps just a light one.

~sends healing vibes~

Good news! Hope his recovery is swift. Mine did get antibiotics. I would ask for them just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back