sick chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chin lover

I have had my chin for almost 3 years. Tonight, he had a seizure, back legs seized up, lost urine, drooled, and his ears were cold so I am guessing it was a seizure. Anyway, I read online that it could be the sugar, so I gave him some and he seemed to be doing better, but he was still limp and twitching. Well it is 3 hours later, still drooling and every now and then squeals and now he sounds like his breathing is raspy. I don't know what to do. I live in upstate Northern New York (near Watertown-13601) and I don't think we have any vets that would specialize in Chins-just cows!! Please help! :cry3:
thank you!

You need to get the chin to a vet. A seizure can cause neurological damage and there's nothing anyone on this forum can do to help. Subcutaneous fluids would probably help some and a raisin to bring the blood sugar higher. You can only get sub-q fluids from the vet. Barring that...you need to find WHAT exactly cause the seizure and prevent it from happening to any future chinchillas. Good luck and I hope you can get to a vet soon.

As I was looking for answers and a vet that new what to do, Charlee passed. Thank you for helping. :cry3:

Having a knowledge vet on hand is important, even if you never need them, they will be there if you do.

Be glad he passed quickly and did not suffer long. RIP little chin.

Back