Shredded Paper

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyChins

Can I uses shredded paper as shavings for my Chinchillas rather than something like shavings? I'm trying to find something that won't end up all over my carpet.. but I refuse to use fleece for the pan.

Not sure if they'd get cuts from the paper?

Shredded paper stinks to high heavens when it is peed on. You can try carefresh, but some chins like to eat it, so I don't use it. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that works better than shavings, or is as neat and tidy as fleece.

I spread out newspaper, usually the whole thing - my chinchillas won't eat it. ...Though they love to pee on it.

CAchins uses newspaper for their chins, I think it stinks WAY faster than shavings and it looks gross.

I tried using shredded paper for a while, and it would start to stink almost immediatly. Als,o it absorbs the pee and the pee sits there so their fur would get damp, and I was afraid of mold. To stop shavings from getting everywhere, I made a "guard" out of fabric and encased the bottom of the cage on the outside about 5 inches up. it would take a lot to get aspen on my floors now.

Back