Show of Affection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llough

Hi,

My chinchilla, Izzie, has recently started grooming my hands and forearms. She scrapes her teeth (almost kind of hard, haha) systemically along my skin in a little biting motion. At first I thought I had something tasty on my skin, but I went and washed my hands with soap and when I came back she still did it. It's so cute, plus - I'm totally serious - my hands have never been smoother. She's like the best exfoliater I've ever seen:laughitup: I feel so lucky and loved :)

I was just wondering if other people's chins groom them similarly or if they do other quirky things to show their affection?

I love it when they do that! :) They groom my face all the time. You just have to be careful, they WILL chew on your eyebrows, eyelashes and hair. Once they really messed up the side of my hair because they chewed off about six inches on one side. Put your hair up out of the way or they may decide it needs trimming!

Yeah I have to tie my hair back tightly as I dye it and hair dye certainly wouldnt be good for chinny-tummies....

My girls also love biting my nails. They are not very good manicurists, bless their lil fluffy bums.

Oh yes...I have to cut back the fingernails very short all the time. One chin munch and a nail has to be cut back anyway. Fun fun fun.

I don't understand why they chew on hair or nails, they aren't yummy and don't really have a fun texture to crunch into. Who knows...

One of my favorite things is to enter the chin room before I go to bed and smooch them all goodnight. They all run up to the bars and wait their turn.My gang is the greatest. I have a few that love to walk on me, some like to groom my eye brows and lashes, some love to sit on top my hand in their cage and groom my skin. I have two that don't mind running my hand over their bodies like petting a cat. I sooooooooo wish they all would enjoy that. I do have some good news to share. Jack has heart problems and is being kept comfortable for the rest of his life with us. He has improved a bit since my post some weeks back and has much improved his strength with a diet change. He actually spoke to me last night. Been a while since I've seen him run to the bars and insist with his little voice to be worshipped first. Was a nice fuzzy for me.

If I rest my head on the bars on the top of my fn while doing something in the bottom Petra will groom my bangs off. She also likes to groom my hands and if I leave a hand in long enough she will cuddle up and fall asleep on it. Pretty cute! Enjoy the loves!

I love the grooming, and for some reason both of my guys are obsessed with my glasses :p I guess they are especially fun to nibble

My chins live with my boyfriend so I only get to see them on the weekends =( When I get there Lily runs to the front of her cage and waits for a scratch. When I let her out she'll popcorn around me for a few minutes. I have a mess of curly hair, she loves sitting on the top of my head and pawing through the curls. She also chirps and squeaks at me.

When my boyfriend is sitting in his recliner Donna will jump on the back and work her way down so she's by his shoulder she'll sit their and make chin greeting noises at him. I always tease him that she's flirting. He was gone for a week, and I was sitting in the chair. She got upset when she realized that I wasn't him and she started barking at me. She was mopey all week until he got back.

All the chins seem to have a foot fetish. Whether we're barefoot or in socks they love sneaking up and nibbling our toes.

Ralph would groom my hand and arm, but ONLY after I gave him scritches first. Obviously he had to let me know who was in charge and who deserved attention first!

Back