Should you have a light on at night?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

I've been wondering if the chins needs a light at night since that is when they are mostly up and about, and sleep during the day. My room isn't pitch black as my ihome has a glow that I can control how bright it is, I recently put an actual night light in the room but it was too bright for me to fall asleep. Do they need the nightlight/light on at night or are they ok with just a little light?

They don't need light at night. I would assume their vision is really good in the dark (their large eyes and the fact they are awake in the dark). Mine have never had a light on when I'm sleeping.

Last edited:
My guys are more active in their cages at night when the light is out than when it's on.

That's good to know. It's much easier for me to fall asleep with the glow from my alarm clock then the actual night light. So it's not completely pitch black, but now too bright.
Thanks guys.

I have night lights on for ambient nighttime light. I think they like having some low light so that they can see...it's really dark inside at night - the skylights don't show much moonlight. You probably have a small light source in your room that would provide enough light for them to see a little.

I have night lights on for ambient nighttime light. I think they like having some low light so that they can see...it's really dark inside at night - the skylights don't show much moonlight. You probably have a small light source in your room that would provide enough light for them to see a little.

Yeah, I keep the light on my alarm clock up to the brightest it can get so it's no where near pitch black in my room. So it seems that's good enough, which is good.

I have a light set to a timer so that it turns on once it gets dark out at night. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have a light but I like to give them some light as the room is usually very dark at night.

Why mess with nature? Remember, chinchillas came from and still live in the wild - specifically the Andes mountains. They are not always near human civilizations, and clearly evolved and still usually live away from non-natural light. If you've ever been camping away from "civilization" you know it can get VERY dark (or pitch black without moon light). The chinchilla, and every other animal awake at night, survives. I think we often try to out-think pet parenting. Our pets are way more resilient and flexible than we give them credit for.

They don't need it, generally. Chins tend to be most active around dusk and dawn, when they will get the most natural low light. If your chin room doesn't have any windows, maybe put a low light on a timer for them so they get some sense of day/night.

My old apartment was 425 sq feet so my chins ended up in a room with no natural light, I kept a small lamp on for them for 8-12 hours for and artificial day and a very dim night light for other times. but I think as long as they have something other than pick black they do fine.

I'm usually up when theyre up so i offten have at least a dim light on and also give them playtime when i hear them starting to run around at 1am. then when they sleep during the day im gone so that gives them resting time.

Back