Should I get a friend for Templeton?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xBetterBeSocialx

I have been toying with the idea of getting Templeton a friend, however I am 95% sure that he has lived alone for his whole life, and he's about two and a half years old. How do you think he would react to another chin in the house, and then in the cage? I hate saying this, but I probably wouldn't get another one at this moment if it would have to be permanantly in another cage, so I'm just wondering what you guys think would be the best course of action. Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
No telling how he'll act. May be love at first sight, may take months, they may hate each other and may not work at all. If you're not prepared/not willing to keep a 2nd cage permanently after quarantine, then you should not get another chinchilla. It's always something you have to be prepared for if you're going to try introducing 2 chinchillas. Even pairs may have arguments and have to be split up after being together for a long amount of time, so even if you have a pair living happily together, you still have to be prepared and willing to keep a second cage.

I agree with Stacie. If you're not ready for a permanent second cage, then don't even try. Even if they got along to start out with, they can always change their mind.

Chins are perfectly content without another chin friend. Just give them playtime and they don't even care.

I'd say just get him a cuddle buddy until you're able and willing to make the full time committment to another chin. No matter what you will always have to have a back up of everything...

the beauty of having more than one chin *sigh*

Tinkerbell has had cage buddies before I adopted her and she had had to be separated from them because she couldn't get along with them. Some chins just aren't social with other chins. I would love to have a second chin but don't have the room for a second chin. So, like the others said, in case the introduction doesn't go well, you have to have a second cage on hand.

If you aren't sure about keeping a second cage, I wouldn't recommend getting a second chin. I had Orville and Fluffernut together for three years when Fluffernut suddenly turned on Orville. He had to have toes amputated and had a lot of bite wounds; I still have one pair that's a mother/daughter pair, and they've been fine; it's almost been three years. It really just depends on the chin and its personality. But again, if you don't want to keep a second cage, don't get a second chin.

A cuddle buddy sounds like a good idea. I just wasn't sure if he was lonely with just me to play with :) I wish I could make the commitment to another chinny, but school, work, and my other kids (the horses) take up so much time. Thanks for the help!

I'm sure he's fine :)

Have you posted pictures of your horses? I'd love to see them, I love horses.

I haven't posted pics of the horses yet, but I'll definitely do that! They're almost as cute as chinchillas! ;)

We originally adopted Carmen, who had in a cage near a male for a few months, but who had never had a cagemate. We thought she needed a friend, so we adopted Minnie, who had shared a cage, but who had been beaten up by her cagemates. It took us a few weeks to get them to get along, and we're still very wary of their behavior. If you're going to get a cagemate, get a second cage as a standby. I'm new to this, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's to prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to intros! :)

One of my first chinchillas was an ornery girl who had lived together her whole life, but she changed after matching her up with a friend.

Chinchillas quite social and I always recommend they live with another if possible. They don't HAVE to, but they will certainly be happier if its possible. Yes, it might not work out, but it's worth a try.

Chinchillas are social creatures, but in many cases, they bond with their owners who become part of the chin's herd. I've read many a story on CnQ about chins doing their warning call to their human as though they were a fellow chin! As long as you give Templeton your love and attention, he won't be lonely.

I thought about the same possibility for my chinchilla but I don't know yet I am still in the decision making phase. If you really wanted you could try a baby which less likely to threaten Templeton.

Back