Shopping Homeowners Insurance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeLilChins

Viva Chinchilli Day!
I am buying my first house in Anthem, AZ (after a year of trying!) and I could use some advice. Things are moving right along to close at the end of February. Home inspection report has been sent, the appraisal should be ordered soon and the loan package has been submitted to the underwriter. I need to shop around for home insurance. I currently have an auto policy with Geico but my policy is up this week so I have some options.

Any suggestions? I know zip code and area make a difference but I'm just looking for some direction. Would love to avoid getting free quotes ALL day :banghead:

I've got Geico Auto also, and from what I've seen, they can't be beat!!
I know from experience State Farm is excellent on Catastrophe Claims, [like Hail] and had not run into a Geico adjustor, as they weren't doing homes yet! But I don't think you get hail out there!?!?!

I'd call around to other insurance companies. If you have to switch with your auto insurance to get a better rate, do it. I switched over my auto insurance many years ago and it has saved me many thousands of dollars...not just because we get a multi policy discount but because we were able to find a better deal. :) I use Farmers, they have always been a very good company for me to deal with. State Farm was horrible to us...it was probably just the agent - that guy was rude to me and very disrespectful...so he got to lose the polices on 35 cars, home owners and everything else. :)

I use AAA for home and car insurance. The only reason we went with them because when my son had his permit his insurance was free until he turned 16. After he turned 16 his insurance was still the cheapest. If you do combine your policy you usually get a break.

Farmers only pays for 'phyical damage' - will not match siding, even if the original style is discontinued, so you can have 2 different colors on your home!
If 2 slopes of your roof is damaged on a 10 yr. old roof, that's all they fix! The other slopes are untouched, and they won't pay for code upgrades - a must to get the permit!!
State Farm and USAA match, and do code upgrades almost automatically!
Allstate and American Family fight with you, but eventually give in!
At least in Illinois - all I'm familiar with!

Back