shoebox?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

Hello!!

I have a general question, hoping someone can give me some insight.

My chins Love chewing themselves some cardboard. They also love fighting over the house and tubes I have for them in their cage.
I was thinking about putting an old shoebox(plain box, no print or glossy coat or anything) in their cage, to double as a chew toy, and an extra shelter, but I wanted to run it by you guys before I did...

I wouldn't do it for a long-term basis. Chins chew and could possibly ingest the cardboard, and then you'd have a bit of a problem. Give them some harder items to chew on. It'll last longer, and be more useful for their teeth.

When my guys were small, I used the large size of these as a hiding place/chew thing: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/13350/product.web

Not sure if Crash would use one now or not, but make sure to take out the fluff inside that's really not good bedding material for any animal. The tubes are used in the train-theme toys that somebody on here makes as well. Simply Chintastic maybe?

When my guys were small, I used the large size of these as a hiding place/chew thing: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/13350/product.web

Not sure if Crash would use one now or not, but make sure to take out the fluff inside that's really not good bedding material for any animal. The tubes are used in the train-theme toys that somebody on here makes as well. Simply Chintastic maybe?

Yeah, I have 2 of those now, One I made into a fleece tube, and one they just play with and chew on; thats why I wondered if a small box would work the same. They have plenty of wood toys and chews, but still love their tube. I see a lot of people use these for their chins, and they are known to chew them regularly, yet someone mentioned them chewing and ingesting it being a problem, so now im a bit confused. Why are they sold as toys if they are not safe for the chins? :wacko:

I THINK (I could be wrong) but I think that these cardboard materials may be made with a bit of a safer glue material in case of ingestion, whereas a regular cardboard shoe box wouldn't be.

maaakes sense!! hmm... I wonder if I can find a safe alternative. I'm thinking cereal boxes, foods, something, but I'd imagine them all being made the same. this is going to take some brain storming...
I wonder if a regular shipping box would work... if it was clean of course. I work at fedex, maybe I can snatch a plain brown box? hmm... ::scratches head::

I was told when I got into chins that the glues and ink/dyes used in most paperboard and corrugated cardboard could be a problem. I know some people with wire bottomed cages put pieces of clean corrugated on the cage floor to protect chinny feet, and of course since its in the cage it gets chewed, but I try to stick with what I know is safe.

Latest posts

Back