She's home!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenLovesQuills

Some of you may have seen my other thread about taking in an adult hedgehog for a friend of mind that is moving. Well, she arrived today! She was pretty huffy after the ride here, so I gave her the day to herself to adjust. I checked on her for awhile and it only took a few minutes for her to uncurl and say hello. She licked my fingers and she licked all over my fiance's arm before anointing like a crazy hog! She explored the bed and covers for a few minutes before retreating to the safety of her fleece blanket so I called it a night. I was just happy to see her uncurl! :clap1:

She is a beautiful little girl and I really look forward to spoiling her rotten. I didn't handle her too much today because I didn't want to scare the quills out of her. I know hedgehogs can be pretty sensitive to change and I want to go at her pace. My friend had her from a baby so I know this a big change for her.

Now I need to name her. I would normally keep her name (Nibbles) but it's too similar to the name of my hamster (Nibbler). I was thinking of calling her Maybe because when I was first thinking about getting her I kept saying, "Maybe...maybe...maybe..." :rofl: But, I'm now thinking about Penny or Ginger. I'll figure it out once I get to know her a bit better.

Attachments

• 01192010a.jpg
    01192010a.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 01192010c.jpg
    01192010c.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
What a cutie! I love the pic with her little tongue licking the arm! You'll have to keep us updated on what you decide for her name. :cute:

Yes, we've decided on Penny Lane and we will call her Penny for short. I'm surprised at how well she is handling everything. We've limited her interaction a bit to allow her to adjust to her new environment, but I did feel comfortable enough to have some tv time with her today. She napped the entire time except for a few minutes of finger licking. I'll take that as a good sign!

Aww that's so sweet! I wish Squee would lick my fingers..haha and Penny Lane is an awesome name

She is so beautiful! I am so glad she will continue to have a home where she is so loved!

Thank you! Well, the licking is really cute...until she starts to nibble us! We call it "nom-nom-nom-ing" or "lick, lick, chomp syndrome". Sniffles would do the same thing to our socked feet. We are well aware that it isn't aggression, but it can still hurt a bit! Penny seems to adore my fingernails. Of course, her previous owner warned me that she gave her treats by hand often so she sees fingers as PEZ dispensers! :rofl: After she has a good licking/nibble session she will anoint all over and then start over. Silly hog...

I figured it was update time. Penny still isn't too sure what to think of me. She knows I bring her food. She knows I clean her cage. She knows I let her out for playtime. She loves Cody though! :rofl: She does really well in her hedgie bag if I'm sitting around watching a movie or something.

Penny and I have had a few really terrific play sessions. She may not love for me to cuddle or pet her, but she likes me to sit on the floor while she climbs on my legs or for me to bring her things to interact with. Some of her favorite things are my keys, Cody's belt, and my scarf. She has toys and won't touch them, but she loves our stuff.

This is Penny in my scarf. The last picture is one of my favorites. That death look she is giving the camera is sooooo Penny! :hilarious:

Attachments

• 021110b.jpg
    021110b.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 021110c.jpg
    021110c.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 021110d.jpg
    021110d.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
Back