seperating kit n momma

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cmills5081

Hello everyone well this Friday is finallyyyyy the day I will be picking up my baby chin and I am sooo excited! His name is going to be rufio which I know is kinda strange but I seem to like it :)...okk question time now. He has been living with his mom dad n sis in the same cage from pretty much birth which was about 2 months ago and I'm worried that when I bring him home he will be unhappy. Does anyone think this is going to happen? I have a huge cage with LOTSSSS of goodies for him when he comes home hoping. He will think something like "heckkkk yes this cage is amainggggg!" But I don't want him to be sad at all and I won't know wat to do if he is...so if people could please give me some suggestions about this situation I would greatlyyy appreciate it. I would just like to know now before I get him rather then wait then have to find out when its to late.

Well it would be great if the present owner could separate the kit in another cage before this Friday to make sure he's all right on his own.

Congratulation on this new baby!

He will think something like "heckkkk yes this cage is amazinggggg!"

:hilarious:
Congratulations! Well I'm sure he will be sad for a few days, who wouldn't be after leaving his family and being all alone. But with your love and attention plus a clean and cool home he will soon be happy again.

He will be sad at first and most likely will cry for a few days. I know this is heart breaking to hear, but he's just calling out looking for his family. With time and patience he will get used to being without them. See if you can find a fleece buddy for him to snuggle with.
Don't try to handle him at all for at least a couple of weeks. Sit outside his cage and talk quietly to him so he can get used to hearing your voice and seeing you.
Patience is the key when becoming a chin parent, especially the first time!
Congrats on getting little Rufio! I think his name is very cute!

I always send my kits with dust that their mom used, and I try to send some type of fleece pillow or buddy that I rubbed over mom's fur to get her scent on it. That way they have something to snuggle with that smells like her and they don't get too lonely.

After being weaned, I always keep kits an extra week or two before allowing them to be adopted out. This ensures that the kits are adjusting well to being weaned and eating/gaining well on their own. Is the owner of the baby chin going to wean the chin when you come to pick him up?

Um wat exactly do you mean by the owner weaning the baby wen I pick him up? I thought the weaning process was the whole first 2 months or so. The ideas about dust bath and stuff sounds good maybe ill tty that to. Does it help at all that I've gone and played with the chin a few times in the last couple weeks? He let me hold him and climbed all over me and everything. After about 30 mins or so he went back in the cage n started making "sounds" around his mom so I don't know exactly wat the sounds were more help is great

Weaning is when a baby is removed from the cage with their mother or no longer allowed to nurse and must eat solid foods on its own.

The whole first two months are called "nursing" not weaning. The kit is with mom to, in human terms, breast feed. Most reputable hobbyists don't just yank a kit from mom and shove it out the door. They wait a week or two to make sure the kit is thriving on its own, eating, drinking, etc.

Oh ok that helps..well like I said I have been to see the chin a few times and even though he is still in cage with his mother I did see him go to the food bowl and start showing down and I also seen him drink water so does that mean he is good when it comes to eating and drinking?

Kits begin nibbling at hay a day after birth but it doesn't mean they're ready to be on their own. But if a kit is still in with its mother, it will still attempt to nurse and is getting some of its nourishment from its mother. When a kit is taken away from their mother, they now must eat and obtain all their nourishment on their own. Weaning can be stressful and sometimes kits will not eat like they should (they're used to just going to mom for milk - and comfort and warmth). This is why most breeders will keep a kit for a short time after weaning - to ensure that they are able to do well on their own.

I responsible breeder weans first...at 6-8 weeks (I prefer 8) they should pull the kit from mom and dad for a week or so before he can go home to be sure he is completely ready for a new home...Kinda scary some of the breeders we have been hearing about lately

Alright that gives me a lot more info also...but wat about this situation I'm not getting the chin from an actual breeder its just a girl who let a male n female who are not related mate so she does not really know all the actual things that need to be done to the kits. She only has 1 cage with 4 chins in it so she wouldn't be able to actually seperate the baby chins I don't belive. So how should I go about this? She says she hasss to have the chins gone by the upcoming weekend so should I bring the chin home and hope n pray that he does well? I want him so bad cuz I wanna make him happy n give him a good life unlike he has now sooo I'm kinda scarred about what I should do here :/

Pick him up if you want. point her this way so maybe she can learn. A lot more goes into breeding (atleast responsible breeding) than throwing some animals together. And if you put a male and female together you are a breeder. Tunes said it great in another thread, when quoting a Great Breeder

you have 3 typed of breeders. Ranchers, hobbyist and Backyard. You are dealing with a backyard breeder.

it may be out of ignorance on her part but maybe she can come here and remidy that. I would hate to see her animals die because something goes wrong and she doesn't recognise it or doesnt know what to do. A female kit can get impregnanted by dad as early as 10 weeks and a male can impregnate mom that early.....

Yes I have tried telling her all of the above because I have been doing alottt of reading on here and have tried telling her to come check out the site but she refuses to listen so I just plan on getting my baby hoping he is good and then give him the best life everrr and not worry about that girl. It is sad wat she does but what can I do ya know

I think the best way to have these people reflect on what they're doing is to loose customers (read not buying chinchillas from them) because of their breeding methods. I understand that you are attached to this baby now, it's all right. Maybe you can spread the word and so help prevent other people to buy from this kind of breeder. Maybe it's just out of ignorance, but the way she refuses to get more information and learn sounds....well....backyard breeder.

Latest posts

Back