Separating Cage Mates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanln97

Cuddling Extraordinaire
I'm planning on re-homing Rocco and Furby soon. They've been sharing a cage for about two years now and I'm wondering how they'll respond if they have to go to different homes. Does anyone have experience with separating chins that weren't fighting or anything?

I've separated before. Since they haven't always been together it shouldn't be do stressful. If they do go separately, separate them before they leave to get them adjusting to it. They may not even miss each other but you could put the cages closer together.

I wouldn't if it can be helped. After all - all they have is each other when they have to be re-homed. I find the chins often suffered from depression when I take in chins that the owners don't want any more

They will be fine apart. I've never had problems separating chins. I would give 1st choice to a home that would keep them together but if that's not possible I wouldn't turn down a good home for 1.

You can separate them for sure and they be just fine. But, if they get along and you can find them a home together, do it! Having a cagemate when being rehomed can definitely lessen the stress of a brand new environment.

Just like Dreamlite says....definitely give a preference for keeping them together. You can tell people that the two isn't THAT much more difficult than just keeping one. :)

Back