Seizure (Long)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obcsed

Gizzie is a 6 year old male with dental problems. At about 2:00 this morning he had a seizure while I was hand feeding him. We will be headed to the vet in a couple of hours. Meanwhile I could use some insight into what happened to him and some advice on dealing with seizures in general.

Background:

Gizzie started having trouble with his teeth before he was a year old. He has had numerous filings over the years and until now has always bounced back quickly. I have had X-rays taken several times and while the roots are a bit elongated, there has been surprisingly little progression and the X-rays always look the same. Basically his problem is that the teeth are tipped inward and the inner edges don't wear properly. He does well for months in between filings and tends to maintain his weight. He does have a chronically wet left eye. About a year ago, one molar became excessively loose and was removed. His diet is Oxbow pellets, Timothy hay, some loose alfalfa and treats of oats and shredded wheat. The room temperature is always below 70.

Current:

He had his teeth done about a week ago and X-rays were taken. He hasn't bounced back this time. He can't eat on his own although he really tries. He will take a bite and then start shaking his head, pawing at his mouth and gaging. I have been hand feeding him Critical Care 3 sometimes 4 times a day making sure he has at least 60 mls each day. He is eating from the syringe eagerly and is maintaining his weight. Poops are abundant. He is drooling a lot more than usual and is less active than normal.

Seizure:

I attempted to feed him at about 2:00 this morning. Before I could get a hold of him this time, he made it to his wheel and ran hard on it and put up a real fuss. Once I got him caught and burritoed, he calmed down and began to eat normally. Shortly after he started eating, I noticed his left ear became really droopy and his left eye closed. I joked with him about being sleepy but he kept eating for a few more bites. Just after giving him a mouthful, he pulled his head back and started to jerk a little bit. At first I thought he had aspirated and was having difficulty breathing but he then want limp and his breathing seemed to be normal so I sat him down on the floor. A few seconds later he was trying to get on his feet but his legs were splayed out from underneath him and he was very wobbly. The whole thing lasted less than 5 minutes and except for appearing exhausted he seemed OK. I did not try to continue feeding him and put him back in his cage. I went back in to finish his feeding about 2 hours later and all seemed normal.

We will be going to the vet in about an hour. He obviously has something wrong in his mouth. Possibly an infection.

hmmm ...the left ear and eye thing makes me wonder if he had a stroke, it is something I would definitely ask the vet about

I just saw your post about feeding expired Critical Care, and want to say that I would not feed expired CC. With storage, not only probiotics lose their potency – substantial nutrient loss occurs as well. While causes of seizures are varied, nutrient deficiencies can cause seizures or increase the risk of seizures.

He could definitely have choked on the Critical Care and that could have brought this whole thing on. Using expired Critical Care isn't the best idea, it goes stale actually pretty quickly after opening the bag. The chins that I have handfed with Critical Care don't really like it unless it is very fresh.

I wish you luck with this little guy. Hopefully it isn't too serious this time.

Back from the vet. He has some redness in one spot on his gums. He will be on pain meds (Buprenex) for a couple of days plus a two week run of antibiotics (Trimetha/Sulfa). His lungs are clear. The seizure is still an unknown. I will be feeding him smaller amounts more often in case it was a blood glucose problem. I also picked up some fresh Critical Care.

He is active and alert and more than willing to gobble down the Critical Care. The meds are another story. Time will tell.

Did he go straight from running on the wheel to being burritoed? If so, it is possible that he may have overheated.

I typically take 5 or so minutes grooming him before burritoing him. I only wrap his upper half in a single layer of fleece. The room temperature was 68. His feet and ears were cold to the touch through out. His ears were unusually pale during the episode. Although I can't rule out overheating, the vet and I are leaning towards a drop in his blood glucose. Thus the numerous small feedings.

I'm pretty confident the run in the wheel contributed to the seizure. I will not let him do that again.

Last edited:
Update:

First of all, no more seizures thank God.

Second, he just discovered it doesn't hurt to chew any more. He started with very tentative nibbles on a shreddy, thought about it a moment and then proceeded to devour it. I think we are on our way to getting him to eat on his own.

Latest posts

Back