seeds?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

i recently bought the wrong bag of food when i was shopping for kishi, i thought it was ok until i saw sunflower seeds in the food, how bad are sunflower seeds? i've heard flax seeds are ok, and that some people feed their chinchilla seed diets? is this correct?personally i didn't want to give them to her if they can make her sick and i picked out all the seeds, so that only pellets were left i'll buy her some different food tommorrow,since they stock food then.

see that's what i thought,why do they even make chin food with seeds in, if it's bad for chins? oiy. imma check around and see what i can find tommorow,hopefully i can find some PANR,if not i'll stick with mazuri

It is not a good idea to keep switching feeds, chins need to be transitioned slowly when switching. Get the pellet she is used to eating and if you want to switch plan on it taking a month or so in order not to upset her system. If she is on horrible feed you can do a cold switch (complete switch to the new feed) but you have to be careful and watch her poos very closely. You can't just get whatever is convenient for you when you need more feed. Choose a feed you can get your hands on easily.

will do!i am going to be switching her over slowly,i don't want her little tummy upset,i will be checking the area to see if PANR is available,then gradually wean her off the other food,if not i'll stick to mazuri which is sold locally,like i said just gradually weaning her off the other food,it's my own fault for not looking till i got home.

I give my crew organic shelled sunflower seeds and they do just fine. You have to give out your snacks lightly. I've been giving my chins almonds for years. ( I rotate the snacks ) And I hand out apple wood as a treat. Having said that, the bulk of their diet is "ALOT" of hay and a good quality food. I weigh them once in a while and keep a log. No chin here has become a fatty. Just use common sense. And watch the poo. If the poo changes then you cut out the snack. Once in a while my almonds are huge and I keep a close look at poo size.

ah! so it's like donuts and humans, once in a while is ok, but not every day, and not more than one,
still if a food has them in i would think that would give them too many in a serving, and what if it made her sick?,i didn't know so i pick them out,better safe than sorry, there a re foods with raisins in too,i got it for silkie once(again by accident),and had to pick out a ALOT of raisins, little ones but still,it seemed like way too many.

Sure, your chins may not appear fat, but by giving them fatty foods they can get fatty liver disease from giving them nuts. Their guts aren't made for processing fats.
So why risk it?

Back