Securing those FN doors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistywaterwoman

Pooper Scooper
Found a great solution to the issue of the sticking locks on the FN doors!! You guys know the problem, you think you've closed it good, but one of those darn little pegs didn't go in all the way, and then the next round of wall surfing pops it right open!! :hair:

Well, thanks to Pam who posted a photo of a bunch of locking devices, I was able to have a decent sized brain storm and figure out I could use an S hook on the knobs!!

Bend it to permanently hook on the right side and then it can swing over and latch onto the left side. (Make sure you get aluminum hooks, the stainless steel ones are too hard to bend.)

IMG_0877.jpg

Even if you have the pin problem, the doors will NOT open with this latch in place.

:thumbsup:

Kara! Why didn't you post this last week? Bobo got out yesterday as I had not latched the door tight after cleaning all the chin cages! She was carefree and fancy free the whole night until we caught her just before I had to leave for work at 5pm! The little scamp was the bedroom with me while I was sleeping just hanging out on my wicker hamper! oooh! this is a great idea to keep it from happening again!

Great idea!

Only the top half of my FN142 does this. But if it opens, then Kiwi (my only female) can stick her little nose out and drive my boys on the bottom nuts and she will also have a long jump down!

Yes good idea...I have this happen twice before...Luckily my chinchillas FN was in my bedroom the times it happened...Nothing as scary as being woke up and then seeing a little black ball going around and around!!!!

Oh gosh....I just got my FN recently! I love the doors out of all the cages!
I didnt know this popping opening of doors? I only realised the both door knob does not a-line straight!

Sorry, Laurie!! ;)

Mine have actually never gotten out before, but I hear about others doing it all the time. I used to put rubber bands around the knobs, but they eventually dry rot.

After Ellen's trauma with Dodger, I knew I had to find a more permanent solution so that I could sleep peacefully at night...

Oh gosh....I just got my FN recently! I love the doors out of all the cages!
I didnt know this popping opening of doors? I only realised the both door knob does not a-line straight!

its not really popping open but basically when one of the tab thingys doesn't go in the hole for it to latch all the way when we think it does lol. and I believe the door knobs aren't supposed to line up. I know mine don't either.

Glad you found a solution!!

My sister has one of these cages that she no longer needs and I was thinking about getting it from her to convert into a chinnie playgroud!

Last edited:
its not really popping open but basically when one of the tab thingys doesn't go in the hole for it to latch all the way when we think it does lol. and I believe the door knobs aren't supposed to line up. I know mine don't either.

Oh I see.....so I have to check and ensure they are latched up before i left my chinroom or else I have have many chins running around visiting other cage mates...lol

If the little post doesn't go all the way into the hole (usually at the top) and the chin happens to press against the door, say by wall surfing, the whole door can pop back open. It's a real problem for the Ferret Nations.

of the 5 sets of doors, 1 of mine is real bad, the other is "ehh". every night i double check them and the loud snap of the one makes my chin jump every time!
i will have to dig one of these "S" rings up in the garage and have my fiance' work his magic.

I did this to 3 sets of doors over the weekend. Having Ebony escape while I was on vacation made me snap to it! :thumbsup:

Back