Schroeder :'(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
After losing Marlow just a week ago, today I had to say good bye to my oldest chin. :cry3: I was getting ready to leave for the vets for medication for everyone, weighing them all, and that's when I saw Schroeder dragging his back legs on the floor. I took him out and made him comfortable with my mom since we had to finish the last two weights (through many tears...) and we rushed out to the vets. I didn't even put him in a carrier, he couldn't move. I held him in my arms the whole way up incase he passed on the way. :( We made it, triage took him right back and got him on oxygen. They called us into an exam room and the vet came in and told us there was nothing we could do. She said at this point, we could have run tests, do x-rays, bloodwork.. but she said at his age (13) the most humane thing was to put him down. This was the first time I've ever had to put down an animal... It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. :( They brought him in so I could hold him and spend a little time with him before they euthanized him because they said I couldn't be back there. I was heartbroken that I couldn't be, but they said since it's a heart stick, it's in the owner's best interest. There's.. nothing like the feeling of holding your pet in your hands.. knowing in a few minutes, he's going to be gone. It takes so much strength, but you could see it in his eyes. They were almost glazed over, and he just stared endlessly into space. He had no more fight left. :( I've lost my second baby in a week. This is so hard.

RIP Schroeder, my old man. You will be greatly and forever missed.

HPIM7210Custom.jpg

I'm sorry Brittney. I have been there too many times myself. It's just the hardest, and the kindest thing, you can do for your pet.

I will say though, and this is for people who read this in the future, the vet should not deny you the right to be with your chin when he/she passes. A heart stick is done after anesthesia has been administered. Your little man would not have felt it.

I'm sorry to hear about Schroeder; it must be hard to see so many babies go in such a short amount of time. I know the feeling of having to decide to put your baby to sleep- I had to put down my dog.

RIP Marlow and Shroeder; Make lots of friends in Chinnie Heaven.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Schroeder knows that he was loved and thanks you for being brave enough to do the most difficult, yet best thing for him. He'll be your little Chinnie Angel watching over you with Marlow. :heart:

So sorry to hear about your truly heartbreaking loss of Schroeder. Your picture of him is so cute-and he looks like my oldest one. He'll be deeply missed and always loved by you.

My heart is breaking for you. If you need to talk, just give me a call (I think I PM'd you my number before York).

RIP Schroeder. You are so loved.:flowers6:

I'm so very sorry but he did have a long happy life with you. He was a beautiful boy.

I'm so sorry to hear about Schroeder...but you did what was best for him even though it was hard for you. That is true love. May he frolic peacefully now.

I'm so sorry to hear this, saying goodbye is so hard. Rest in peace Schroeder.

Thank you so much. The hardest thing is the vet said it wasn't even related to the giardia. :( She said it could have been a freak accident where he fell in his cage, could have been a slipped disk, a tumor near his spine.. This just kills me so much. :( It was horrible to see my poor boy dragging himself around. He just layed in my lap the whole way up. When we were in the room they brought him to me wrapped in a towel when we all spent 20 minutes saying good bye and drowning him in love. We were all crying, he wasn't just my pet, he's been the family pet for 10 years. :( We've all decided on getting him cremated. I just can't burry him... not Schroeder. :(

I am so sorry about your Schroeder, he did live a long life and you were blessed with him for over 10 years, may he rest in peace. I too cremated my Whiskers, part of him is in a locket that my daughter wears sometimes and part of him is in the room that I am mostly in with a little "angel chin" that alli713 makes. My vet did not want me going back there either to witness him being euthanized. I personally know my vet and he later told me it is just too emotional for some people (I was pretty despondent at the time), and some have told him of regrets of witnessing because they re-invision it time and again. Maybe they just wanted to spare you, I don't know, I'm just trying to ease your pain a little.

I am so sorry about your loss! Schroeder will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge! I have been in that spot - the only thing that truly helps is time. I has been 18 years since I put down my best friend - and I still cry sometimes, but time makes dealing with the loss a little easier each day. Good luck.

Schroeder felt much love and nothing shows it more than your kindness by letting him go so peacefully. We should all be so lucky to have the loving arms of someone holding on to us as we leave this world for yet another journey.
I'm sorry for your loss Brittney.

Back