Safe Herbs for Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterLover86

There are a few herbs that I already give to my chins in small amounts from time to time, as a treat, and I'm just curious what other things are safe for them?

Currently, I've given rosehips, rosebuds (sold by another member on here), hibiscus flowers, and chamomile flowers.

again, all in tiny amounts and maybe only once a week (rosehips are every few days)

I know they LOVE the Forever Feisty supplement.. especially the little round things... are those juniper berries? (I have no idea, but so far, the only herb I've spotted that looks kinda similar)

But in any case- are there other types of safe herbs that can be given to my chinchillas as a treat, and also, how often and how much can they have?

Thank you so much!

These aren't herbs but old fashioned oats mine loves along with shredded wheat. Question though the Hibiscus flowers do you just give him the ones that fall directly from the plant or do you have to buy them? Wood is always a good treat too, apple wood I heard they love!

I buy dried hibiscus flowers from an online herb store.

I also give my guys old fashioned oats, unsweetened shredded wheat, cheerios, as well as a wide variety of woods (crabapple, apple, grapevine, willow, ocotillo, mulberry, cottonwood, etc. ) They do have other treats, but I'm always looking for other things they might be able to have! ;)

very strict limitations on herbs. i mix several differnt herbs, flowers, oats, rosehips, hay, etc......all together in one bag and give my chins a pinch, which probably equals about 1/4 to 1/2 of 1 teaspoon. if you take a measuring spoon out you will see it is very small.

i posted in the other thread but i use hibiscus flowers, dandelion, rasberry leaf, crushed rosehips, peppermint. you can use red clover flowers & bee pollen, rose petals.

but you really dont want to mess with herbs too much. at first just a very small amount. maybe even just one herb at time to introduce. we need to keep in mind that our chins are only 1 pound (ish) and may not be able to handle large amounts of these herbs. it is a nice alternative to the wheat type treats like cheerieos & shredded wheat, etc. my chins really like my mix and they seem to be doing well with it, but when i introduce new ones, i just give a few flakes.

Latest posts

Back